Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

Everytime I use Sodium Hypochlorite

Hope this dosen't gross anyone out just wondering if anyone else has the same effects or problems. I am in perfect health as far as I know I am 26 years old so I'm young you can't use that against me. I powerwash pretty much every Saturday b/c I work for a large architectural firm as a designer 40 hours a week. I am beginning to wonder about my health because I am getting tired of going to the ER and tired of paying these bills only to find out nothing is wrong. So here is my delima it seems like everytime I use 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite later on that day or evening I have a case of mild heartburn or acid reflux anyone delt with this. I have also been to the emergency room twice now within the last 6 months always getting released only to get the same respone know one seems to have any idea what is wrong. First time i thought my gall bladder had burst. The last time, last week, they thought it was food poisioning. I'm beginning to wonder if Sodium Hypochlorite has something to do with it. I have had three severe occurences now including each time of the above causing me to have to vomit and almost choke to death there has been times when I can't hardly breath it scares the heck out of me. Is anyone else having similar effects or problems please chime in. By the way today I used a respirator hoping to lessen the effects no luck.

First off look up the MSDS sheets for sodium hypochlorite. You can track that thru a search on the net. Your body may be highly sensative to the Love(Another term for chlorine). I use to get lung ailments alot because I would not use my respirator. Now what I do is use a respirator that is rated to protect you from chlorine vapors. I use it every time I deal with chlorine, strippers, acids,stains etc. I actually have a different mask for when I'm staining because the cartriges on those is rated to protect from stain vapors. Also you need to keep all the above off your skin.

IF all of this doesnt help you much then your probably better getting out of this business because your just having to many allergic reactions to the chemicals. Remember your health is way more important than Money. Once your lungs are shot it doesnt matter how much money you have cause your quality of life will be shattered.

Cover up!!

Different things affect people differently. Oneday I was on a roof useing 10.5% and after a while I started feeling sick. From that day on I have used a resperator. Make sure your resperator says for chlorine use.

...but pressure washing is so EASY! Isn't that what they say?

Any d-it-y'er will tell you that, until it takes him 8 hours to clean his driveway when we can do the driveway AND the walk in 2 or less.

I used to use 12%, but went back to using Clorox, dulited at about two gallons (maybe 3) in 5. Takes a little longer, but for me nothing else in the 6% seems to work as well, and have never killed or even damaged anything green as far as I know.

I breathe better, and that means a lot to me.

If it only happens the days you use 12%, Id figure that it is the SH. Stop using it, it isnt worth getting ill or dieing

Good luck and get away from the stuff

Ditto to what Kory said about making sure that the Respirator Cartridges say that they are for Chlorine. If they do not that is not helping you and putting your health and life at risk. If they are listed for Chlorine then maybe you are allergic to high amounts of Chlorine. My mom is allergic to Sulfur but I get the stuff on me every day and no big deal. There are alternatives to Chlorine but not as fast. It just depends on what you are doing. Tell us what you use Chlorine for and we can make some recommendations on the alternatives. I know 4 guys now that have permanent lung damage (It was only 3 until August and some people just do not listen to good advice) and have a hard time breathing. They are always wheezing and cannot do anything that is very exerting like sports or anything that makes them breath heavy. You only have one life so take care of it. Help Us Help You.

By the way today I used a respirator hoping to lessen the effects no luck.

What brand of respirator and cartidges??

Also, how are you using the sodium hypochlorite straight, in a mix with something, and also what percent.

There are chemical illness cases but not common, and different for everybody.

It could be the SH but could be something else. It could be another ingredient or a combination of ingredients that are not compatible. Not necessarily you incorectly combining chems but just producing a new compound and THAT is what you are allergic to.

Just thinking outside the box.

Scott

Thanks for the responses. My mixture normally consists of 1 gal. of SH w/ 1 gal. of E-plus and 3 gallons of water to wash houses.

That is a pretty dilute solution and if you are downstreaming with a 20% DS injector you are looking at only %0.625 SH to the wal and if using a standard injector you could half that amount. I would have a hard time killing the mildew and mold I run across down here with that.

Considering this, and the fact that you don't report a allergy to household bleach perhaps it is something in the Emulsifier Plus that is causing the allergic reaction? I know lots of people with allergies to detergents and when I was a kid my dad had restaurants and there was one type of dishwasher soap that would cause me all sorts of discomfort. Haven't run across it again but now and then I will sniff some detergents and get a bit of a sneezing fit.

Hope you figure out what is causing it.

I just read the part where you had the same vomitiing and choking while wearing a respirator. If the respirator is new and is rated for chlorine fumes then your health issue is most likely caused by some other factor unless you are bathing in the stuff. Gonna take a good doctor to figure it out.

The respirator is from lowes not sure what make and model it is paid $40 for it and it came with cartridges already installed. The choking and vomiting has never happened with the respirator it just begins out of the blue I just used the respirator this past weekend trying to lessen the harmful effects these chemicals may have on my body. You guys maybe right it may not be the SH but something else I am using I just began with that since its the strongest chemical I use. The way I apply the chemicals is with the xjet with no proportioner no downstreaming.

The choking and vomiting has never happened with the respirator it just begins out of the blue I just used the respirator this past weekend trying to lessen the harmful effects these chemicals may have on my body.

Please expound....I'm confused??? Have you ever used the respirator for the whole job? It sounds like you have and you still get sick later in the day???

Am I understanding you correctly??

Scott

Hope this dosen't gross anyone out just wondering if anyone else has the same effects or problems. I am in perfect health as far as I know I am 26 years old so I'm young you can't use that against me. I powerwash pretty much every Saturday b/c I work for a large architectural firm as a designer 40 hours a week. I am beginning to wonder about my health because I am getting tired of going to the ER and tired of paying these bills only to find out nothing is wrong. So here is my delima it seems like everytime I use 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite later on that day or evening I have a case of mild heartburn or acid reflux anyone delt with this. I have also been to the emergency room twice now within the last 6 months always getting released only to get the same respone know one seems to have any idea what is wrong. First time i thought my gall bladder had burst. The last time, last week, they thought it was food poisioning. I'm beginning to wonder if Sodium Hypochlorite has something to do with it. I have had three severe occurences now including each time of the above causing me to have to vomit and almost choke to death there has been times when I can't hardly breath it scares the heck out of me. Is anyone else having similar effects or problems please chime in. By the way today I used a respirator hoping to lessen the effects no luck.

IT APPEARS THAT IN MY OPINION YOU'RE SUFFERING FRO TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME. WHEN I GET A GOOD WHIFF OF PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS LIKE GASOLINE, ACETONE, XYLENE,ETC. I GET DIARRHEA IMMEDIATELY.

YOUR BODIES REJECTING THE OOFENSIVE PRODUCT.

BEING A FF AND CHIEF OFFICER FOR 23+ YRS, YOU NEED TO GET THAT RESPIRATOR ON BEFORE YOU START HANDLING THE PRODUCT!

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE OUTSIDE DOESNT MEAN THAT THE ATMOSPHERE ISN'T IDLH (IMMEDIATE DANGER TO LIFE HAZARD)

ALWAYS ERR ON THE SAFE SIDE.

HOPE THIS HELPED

HOSEGUY