Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sopowerclean

Painting Contractor

Question

Guest Sopowerclean

This post is for guys working for painters or for painters themselves.

Do you do anything different from top to bottom when washing a house for a painter? I have worked for a few painters and do a basic house wash for them and remove shutters for them. I don't do gutters or anything as paint removal.

The reason for this post is I worked for a painter this week. I could not satisfy him. He called on Wed. and had to have this house done on Wed or Thur. I did job on Thursday afternoon and it looked fine to me as others have in past. This house was built in 1909 and looked as it was last cleaned in 1910 and is on major road in Raleigh. He calle dfirst thing on Friday to complain. House was not clean enough, not enough paint removed, gutters dirty. I went back out on Friday and washed house for a second time mixing chemicals a little stronger this time. He called again 3 times on Sat before 12:00 to complain that house was not clean enough and no pait was removed.

I first talked with this guy on phone about a month ago and explained to him what i normally did for painters and he didnt ask any questions about extras. When he called for estimate on this house he did not have time to meet me there to look at it. He told me he has always done his own pwing ( no i think i know why). I dont think anyone can please him. I have never dealt with a customer that was unpleasable. all of my customer in the past have been excellent to deal with and are repeat customers.

On another note. Thank you to everyone who post on this and other boards. it is kinda like on the job training in a different way. I have people to talk with and share ideas with and learn from. Thanks again guys.

Lawrence Carter

Southern Power Clean

"Providing a Cleaner Image"

13 answers to this question

You need to meet with him at the job site and have him point out specifics of what he is unhappy with.

There is a difference between cleaning and stripping, or chipping - should be addressed up front. Same with cleaning of the gutters. If the paint is chalky, depending on the age of the paint, you may never be able to stop it from chalking. Find out what chemistry he uses when he's doing the cleaning and use exact mix.

Paint prep chemistry should contain TSP for "etching" the paint.

Like you said, some people are hard to please, but you won't know what his complaints are exactly until you meet face to face at the job site. It's hard or impossible to deal with vague data.

Some painters like the surface stripped to the bare bones, thats alot different than a paint prep. If your going to remove all the paint you need to charge for it because he will probably want you to pick up the paint chips. With such a old house you might be looking at lead based paint,then you will be required to pick up chips. In my experiance painters usually dont want to pay much and expect the world.

It sounds to me like if the guy does his own prep he may be one of those guys that sprays on bleach from Lowes, washes each board with 3500psi, a15 degree nozzle and stays about 6 inches away from whatever he is washing. That may be why he is expecting the paint to flake off. A word of caution.. if the house hasn't been painted for a long time the paint on it might contain lead.

Guest rfitz

Tell him, no problem, I will come back out with you present and we will wash every sq inch over with him at your side, and your hourly rate is $95.00 and if it were me I would also tell him there is a 4 hour minimum on call backs, other than that, tell him to do it himself, I had a contractor try this crap on me and tell me I streaked the windows, I went back only to find the streaks were actually on the inside, and I had to bill him $125 to come back out, my time isnt FREE, but if I did screw up, I would take care of it no charge, so he paid

me the $125, just make sure you always have things like this in your contract

I do, and it is amazing how many folks never read a legal contract they sign,

especially contractors, most do such sloppy work, and leave their work area a mess so they are always getting their ass chewed, so they must feel as though they now have someones ass to chew...

Sounds like he wants you to do his work for him, might as well tell him your going to paint the house also and see what he says.

Although I don't do that sort of work I would never give a quote or do a job without first meeting the person who pays and seeing the job.

Not putting you down but you should always insist on meeting first.

Next thing you will hear is you damaged the house and are being sued.

Jon,

Almost 40% of my work up to the point of actually starting the service is done in the blind.

A lot of my customers work 6 days a week and long hours so a meeting is not always possible without inconvenience to them. I talk to them on the phone and a contract is always signed before the work materials are ordered or the work starts.

I would say that 25% of the time the customer never actually sees the work in progress - just the results.

However, if there is ever a complaint, it is important to establish a face to face meeting and have the problem pointed out by the customer. It's hard to work with vague statements like "Everything is messed up" or "I don't like the way it looks".

Dealing with vague statements is like giving estimates over the phone without first seeing the task at hand.

As a matter of fact, I'm leaving for that type of an estimate in a few minutes. The man called Tuesday and wants an estimate on brick cleaning. He works 60 miles from where he lives and it's dark when he leaves and dark when he gets home. I will go to his house and will have an estimate for him by the time he gets home tonight and we'll talk on the phone. The contract will spell out what is included and what are exceptions. If he likes my price and all else, he'll sign the contract and fax it / mail it back to me before the work is started. If the contract needs to be adjusted, then another is faxed or mailed out.

Knock on oak, I've only had 1 bad debt and that was almost 3 years ago - he skipped town and I wasn't about to chase him to Louisiana for $500.

I think that's where a good digital camera comes in. When I do estimates and the owner can't be there, I snap a few photos of damage or problem areas and make a note or arrow on the pic. I then attach them to the estimate. When we talk again via phone we go over it and I draw ref. to the photo

here's what I would do if you still havent' been paid. Tell him to pay you within 3 days or you will go put the dirt back on the house. If you don't get paid, get some dirt, mix it with water and then throw it all over the house. You could first tell the homeowner the contractor owes you money and see if they will pay it, probably not, I would put the dirt back, then visit the non payer with a bat at your side. I will collect it for you for a fee.

Now now Michael that would land you in jail for destroying private property.

It is not the homeowners fault the painter did not pay.

What I would suggest, send a registered letter with proof of reciept giving him say 10 working days to have a bank check, NOT personal or business check in your hands or off to small claims court you go.

As for taking pictures I always take before and after on new accounts. I also try to meet with the owners or managers and show them any damage that was there prior to my first cleaning so they are aware of it.

I had a new account claim I did not get the gum off and was not going to pay, I sent copies of the pictures to both the manager and District Manager, I got paid, the manager got fired for lying.

I still have the account.