Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Following up

When dealing with commercial accounts, PM's etc How many of you do follow up calls or letters after giving bids?

I feel doing follow up calls or letters is a great source of infomation and a good way to get work. I generally will do a follow up call on just about every bid/proposal I do, for a few reasons

1) Its a good way to get work. I had a proposal I did and the PM lost it. He forgot my name and # and had no way to get in touch with me. My call to him landed a small but good job and since we did that job, Ive gotten other work from him

Sometimes the PM or commercial property is busy and a call from me might get them thinking about the project

Its a good way to get the moving and Ive had many say thanks for reminding them

2) A follow up is a good way to find out about your competitions rates. Ive done many follow up calls only to find out I lost the bid. I ask if they mind telling me what the winning bid was. It shows me if Im close in pricing or way off or if my competition is just way to low....low balling

3) Follow up is another way of letting the prospective customer know you are interested and want the work. It shows your professional and care, I think. Its a way, a chance to make a 2nd sales pitch. Its a way to ask them for more work or to bid on more work

Anybody else do follow up

Just some food for thought on what might work

Jeff

Jeff -

I think follow up is KEY to landing jobs. I have the same philosophy with residential customers or anyone I give a bid to. As long as you're not being a PITA, it shows great professionalism to follow up. I've often jogged the memory of customers that have put me on the back burner for one reason or another, and wind up getting the job. Fortunately for those of us that try to project a professional image (probably anyone that takes the time to be on TGS), it is easy to look like a rock star in this business. There are so many "fly by night", unprofessional people in our line that things like following up, or free estimates, or thank you letters go a LONG way.

- John

I bid on a huge apartment complex last year, the PM was impressed with my presentation with before/after pics and everything and said my price was good and promised to call me one way or the other. I called them 3 weeks later and he still hadn't heard from the higher ups but said again he'd call no matter what. A month after that I tried but couldn't get ahold of him. Now it's Dec, still never heard anything. Originally they said they wanted to get it done this year but maybe they put it in next years budget, who knows.

I bid on a huge apartment complex last year, the PM was impressed with my presentation with before/after pics and everything and said my price was good and promised to call me one way or the other. I called them 3 weeks later and he still hadn't heard from the higher ups but said again he'd call no matter what. A month after that I tried but couldn't get ahold of him. Now it's Dec, still never heard anything. Originally they said they wanted to get it done this year but maybe they put it in next years budget, who knows.

Is that same PM with the company still. Ive called a few times and found out a PM was no longer with the company. One I left messages for about 4 weeks and then I found out he wasnt with the company for over 3 months, they never changed his voice mail

Jeff -

I think follow up is KEY to landing jobs. I have the same philosophy with residential customers or anyone I give a bid to. As long as you're not being a PITA, it shows great professionalism to follow up. I've often jogged the memory of customers that have put me on the back burner for one reason or another, and wind up getting the job. Fortunately for those of us that try to project a professional image (probably anyone that takes the time to be on TGS), it is easy to look like a rock star in this business. There are so many "fly by night", unprofessional people in our line that things like following up, or free estimates, or thank you letters go a LONG way.

- John

John I agree with everything you said. ...... It is KEY, its quick & easy and shows you are above the rest

Is that same PM with the company still. Ive called a few times and found out a PM was no longer with the company. One I left messages for about 4 weeks and then I found out he wasnt with the company for over 3 months, they never changed his voice mail

Not sure Jeff. I'll give em a call again to see if they ever had the work done. Thanks