Sign in to follow this  
kenfitz

Ideal PW for Wood... Small and Light??

Question

What is a great lightweight portable Pressure Washer unit that can be used for wood. I have a 3700psi 4gpm hot water EPPS unit that is on my trailer. But if I was to start hiring a crew to do the washing for me I would want something smaller and lighter without the hot water. I saw a 4gpm direct drive 3500psi for $700 at Home Depot wouldn't that work ok for me if I was just doing wood? I would lower the pressure using the correct tips. (4010) I was looking for a 1000psi 5gpm that I can use without a tank, I just want to plug into their water supply. I was thinking of having all my equipment in a box van. Do I need such a big pressure washer all the time?

Ken

5 answers to this question

I started out with the best pressure washer Lowes carried. 13hp honda was good but because it was direct drive and had a cheap pump on it (they all do from Depot and lowes) it crapped out on me. Got a new one with the warranty but it also crapped out before the season was over. I do mostly decks now and It was defiantely worth the money to get a 3500psi 5.5gpm with electric start that is mounted on the trailer. It is a pain in the butt taking a washer on and off the trailer. I think I paid like $2400 with a general pump. It will last a long time.

The whole idea for me is to have it in a van. Everybody that I talk to says a van is a bad idea espescially that I am carrying around oil stain. But I am trying to get away from a trailer unit because of the liability of backing it up. A van could be closed, locked, a rolling advertisment and great for storage. I think it would be a definiate must have for when I have workers. If a small unit was just set outside of the van that would solve my problems. Has anyone successfully used a van setup? I just worry about catching on fire.

ken... KF2

I have an '04 E150 (wish I had gone for the 250) AND pull a trailer. My main goal was to keep all my "stuff" under cover and out of sight - it just looks more professional. I had a bench (with seat belts) installed behind the front seats and the divider is behind the bench. Normally, I carry a 13hp/5gpm/2500psi portable (bought a gear drive to replace the direct drive pump after 3 years of everyday use) as a back-up behind the drivers seat. (I have wood ramps there also.) The rear is Line-x'd about 2ft up, with trimmed-to-fit pieces to fill in any gaps between the bulkhead and the walls. Dry storage in the middle, most everything else (including a 24" Steel Eagle) in the back. I have no regrets.

Ken, we have a wood setup (on a trailer) that would very likely fit all inside a van. Low psi, high gpm washer plus a sprayer setup - nothing leaves the trailer except the hoses & wands. We can work from 200 ft easily, likely further but have not had a need.

Celeste