Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

White railings

Question

For those customers who want the surface of their deck to be stained with a natural color but want the railings white, what do you use?

Everyone has spindle railings around here and apparently the white railings are pretty popular. Curious whether you would do it with a solid color white stain, which seems like it might not cover entirely well or use some form or primer and paint which seems like it would be at high risk for peeling (esp on PT) if the wood hasn't fully dried out

Any ideas?

10 answers to this question

We use all of Flood's products. There new Solid Color, deck & siding finish, urethane modified, white stain is awsome. Here are a few picts. The product is guaranteed for 5 yrs. on decks and 15 on siding. We are very happy and it is very white. Hope this helps. Thank You.

post-2261-137772171955_thumb.jpg

post-2261-137772171958_thumb.jpg

I found this information relating to Big Chaz's question.

Alkyd resins, urethane modified

A variety of urethane modified Vialkyd® alkyd resins offer the potential to develop coating systems with a combination of some of the following properties:

• rapid initial and through dry
        • toughness
        • hardness
        • abrasion resistance
        • excellent water resistance
        • chemical resistance
        • excellent compatibility with other resin systems

This is the best explanation my search could find which I think gives a good idea. Generally, a urethane modified product is meant to be more durable and difficult to remove by resisting surface activity by most chemical processes we know here. The term 'Urethane Modified' literally means what it says.

I hope this helps.

Rod!~

Wish I had done more research on this...the Navajo White I used by SW (the only white solid stain they carry) looks distance from afar. Glad to know there is a whiter white out there for my next project.....

Wish I had done more research on this...the Navajo White I used by SW (the only white solid stain they carry) looks distance from afar. Glad to know there is a whiter white out there for my next project.....

I used a white from them that was so white it made my eyes water when working in direct sun. I'll try to find the name. I'm certain it was a SW Deckscapes waterborne finish.