Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Hanging out/Shwing

Question

11 answers to this question

....LIBERAL JEFF--MORE CONSERVATIVE THAN ME??? Who'd a thunk it?? Yep, not into the death penalty. I'd have preferred up to the point of his death he'd begged for forgiveness and mercy, and admitted his faults. Death is so.....eternal. I'd prefer a process where the person admits their crimes, is allowed to ask for forgiveness and mercy, and as our gift, we use them for human testing of some kind in regards to medicine, etc. They'd have an opportunity to give back something with their life worthwhile, that otherwise wouldn't happen.

In this case, the death penalty served no purpose. The death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent to others committing similar crimes. When dealing with people who so firmly believe in their cause that they will die for it, you cannot dissuade them in this manner. He was in custody, so he wasn't likely to harm others, so there was no need to put him to death for that (like we bomb active military targets...that's justified). If a government gets together and has a person in custody and collectively wants that person to die, the death penalty isn't justice...it's mob revenge, and I think it's a blight on our moral character to succomb to such acts. I would have been happy if his government had sentenced him to a Prometheus-like punishment, then let nature take it's course if we don't want to spend the millions it would take to keep him in custody for the rest of his natural life.

200px-Satan_saddam.jpg

RyanH,

...Again, you have a truly brilliant mind in regards to political and social issues. Perfectly said. I certainly hope you'll move forward with your gifts in this aspect and get politically involved (i mean, actually holding a position). You have too good of a grasp, and are too young, to be on the sidelines at this point. .02 jf

....LIBERAL JEFF--MORE CONSERVATIVE THAN ME??? Who'd a thunk it?? Yep, not into the death penalty. I'd have preferred up to the point of his death he'd begged for forgiveness and mercy, and admitted his faults. Death is so.....eternal. I'd prefer a process where the person admits their crimes, is allowed to ask for forgiveness and mercy, and as our gift, we use them for human testing of some kind in regards to medicine, etc. They'd have an opportunity to give back something with their life worthwhile, that otherwise wouldn't happen.

I must be a confused Conservative

Actually, I'm not much for the death penalty, but Saddams death is how its done in Iraq and I really dont care about dictators that kill at will

Death penalties.......... I think some people should just die/be killed. But in a justice system that money quite often controls the outcome I have questions about death penalty. I fear and know innocent people are in jail at times and have been on death row & killed. So I'd support NO death penalty in our country. I don't think its a deterrent anyway. But until theres no death penalty I think every option to prove innocence should be afforded

I dont like the fact that the most death penatly countries are China, Russia, Saudi Arabia & USA, I dont think we are in good company

I guess I wish there wasnt so much evil in this world

Jeff

Hey, how's this for an idea....stop the death penalty here and send them over to one of the numerous sandboxes that so many of our young Americans are dying in. Let's keep our troops here at home defending our borders against the illegals that everyone dislikes so much.

As for housing that evil SOB with one penny of my tax dollars - well that just pisses me off. He probably ate better and had better medical care than half of this country that belongs here.

Ooh, cranky, need to go to bed.

Celeste

Yeah, I'm more along the lines of Celeste :)

I think the death penalty has it's place, no doubt. I don't care if it's a deterent, IT'S JUSTICE!!! I think that every person should have every opportunity to prove their innocence and I know that innocent people are in jail and even on death row and that sucks. I don't wish that on anybody. However, with DNA and all the other advances we've made, I feel pretty confident in our system.

I DO think that they should bring back the chain gang, and hard labor with people in prison instead of letting them lift weights and watch tv and take college courses :mad: I think they should be made to labor like a mofo either until they die or they have served their time.

I DON'T think that people should sit on death row for 20 years and be able to go through 40000 appeals when everybody knows darn well that they did it. They should be put to death within a couple weeks. If the average costs taxpayers $35,000 / year, that pisses me off that a Saddam type would be able to eat, sleep and drink and live on our dime for 20 years...

To me in an odd way the the death Penalty is like abortion. Under extreme circumstances they should both be allowed to happen. It has to be under extreme circumstances only. Example Timothy McVay who blew up the fed. building in Oklahoma where all those people and children died. I'll never forget that Fireman holding that dead child from that blast. Timothy admitted to the whole thing so bang..he gets executed. How anyone could think a guy like this shouldn't get the death penalty I can never understand the logic.

As for Abortion if a person is raped by an aids infected Crack head then they should have the right to have an abortion. What makes all this so debatable once again is that magic word--RELIGION and what you believe in. I believe in logic and what has to be done..then get it done.

In this case, the death penalty served no purpose. The death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent to others committing similar crimes. When dealing with people who so firmly believe in their cause that they will die for it, you cannot dissuade them in this manner. He was in custody, so he wasn't likely to harm others, so there was no need to put him to death for that (like we bomb active military targets...that's justified). If a government gets together and has a person in custody and collectively wants that person to die, the death penalty isn't justice...it's mob revenge, and I think it's a blight on our moral character to succomb to such acts. I would have been happy if his government had sentenced him to a Prometheus-like punishment, then let nature take it's course if we don't want to spend the millions it would take to keep him in custody for the rest of his natural life.

200px-Satan_saddam.jpg

Ryan is a smart guy but I don't agree with this. Supreme leaders such as Saddam no matter where you jail them they still have a major influence on the people that follow them. They have ways to get there messages out to there followers. Just look at the sheik that was behind the bombing of the World Trade Center here in NY who was sentence to life because we didnt want to make him a Martyr. He gets an American white lady attorney to relay his messages. Its just the way it is. Either take these guys out completely or do not get in a war with them. You can't go about this half assed and that includes jailing them. That is a joke to think that there influences will be stopped because there behind bars. Its all or nothing in war and this is the problem that we have with Iraq now and the Veitnam war in the 60's. You can't do these things half assed because this way to many Americans die and that is the biggest tragedy to this country.

As for Abortion if a person is raped by an aids infected Crack head then they should have the right to have an abortion.

kind of after the fact for this, even if you abort the baby the mother is still going to become sick and die.

Why not hang the jerk that infected her first?