Sign in to follow this  
MarksMobileWash

Pool Area, Drive and Sidewalk

Question

I am going to be doing a surface cleaning of a pool area, drive and sidewalk. A pool guy told me to be careful with the covering next to the pool because high pressure may break it. He recommended just using spray chemicals and a water hose. No pressure. I was going to use my 16'' Whirl-a-way, but may not now. Any suggestions on chemicals and pressure? Thanks. I'm also not sure on the pricing yet, but I think around 200-250?

9 answers to this question

The pool guy was correct. I always recommend that pool aprons be done after the cover has been removed. If it needs to be cleaned with the cover in place, I will spray a bleach solution and rinse with a garden hose, followed (usually) with an oxalic acid spray and another rinse. (The bleach will kill the mold/mildew and the acid will brighten the concrete.) Do not spray directly on the cover and rinse, rinse, rinse.

How much to charge depends on how much area to clean, how dirty, your market. For me, an average job like this would be in the $200 neighborhood.

Thanks for the reply. What about the aggregate, or whatever it is called, around the pool. The 'cool' decking. I am thinking of just cleaning and hose rinsing that also. I was told that some coverings are just thin layers over foam, of some type. Have you ever heard of that?

The pool guy was correct. I always recommend that pool aprons be done after the cover has been removed. If it needs to be cleaned with the cover in place, I will spray a bleach solution and rinse with a garden hose, followed (usually) with an oxalic acid spray and another rinse. (The bleach will kill the mold/mildew and the acid will brighten the concrete.) Do not spray directly on the cover and rinse, rinse, rinse.

How much to charge depends on how much area to clean, how dirty, your market. For me, an average job like this would be in the $200 neighborhood.

I agree with the method above, and I have found out from experience, if you are pricing the job per square foot, measure the whole area and count the pool as part of your measurement. What I'm trying to say is, Don't subtract the pool itself from your measurement, unless you want to under price the job.

That a 'cool' deck though?..I'd be doing a test on all such areas first in case it something odd..All that stuff is odd and ya never know how strong it may be or what chems the manufacture suggests or allows under warranty...

Cool Deck | Kool Deck | Deck Replacement

How Do I Replace My Damaged Cool Deck?

On hot summer days you may find it hard to stay outside. Not just because of the rising temperatures but also because everything you touch burns you skin. Hot concrete patios, driveways, and sidewalks are sometimes impossible to walk on unless you're wearing the appropriate footwear. But what about when you're barefooted and swimming? Oddly enough, though you'd think pool decks would be extremely safe, they can actually become quite dangerous. They get slick and slippery. They crack with extreme weather changes. And they can become extremely hot to the touch. Therefore, as a solution to these particular pool problems, cool decks were invented to take the heat off the street.

What Is a Cool Deck?

It's a topping applied over a stronger concrete base. This special material can be applied to a concrete structure while it's curing in order to significantly lower the exterior surface temperature. It comes in any color or pattern to match your taste, and it can be textured for traction to guard against slipping. Plus, it's extremely durable (almost twice as strong as the base structure), stain resistant, and waterproof (to avoid mold or mildew buildup). So overall, a cool deck requires little maintenance, endures traditional wear and tear, and extends the life of your concrete, making it a very economical choice.

How Do I Know If It's a Kool Deck?

Sometimes it's hard to tell if you have a genuine Kool Deck (a trademarked product) or if your concrete is simply textured or stamped. But it's important to know what you're dealing with before beginning any maintenance or repairs since each material has a specific composition that requires its own specific procedures. First, take a garden hose and wet down the concrete. If the water absorbs right into the surface you most likely have a Kool Deck. But if the water runs off the surface you most likely have another type of product.

What About Deck Replacement?

If it's fading, cracking, or peeling, there are several solutions. Since it's expensive and time consuming, most of the time you won't have to involve yourself with a complete deck replacement. Instead, you're probably going to be more concerned with repairs. If there are larger areas of damage, such as cracks and fractures, you'll need to fill these in as soon as possible. There are specialty caulking agents on the market for cool decks, but you may want to inquire with a professional contractor before purchasing. But if the damage is more wide spread, then you may want to think about re-surfacing with another application of the material.

Answer

It's very possible that you have SunDeck, which you are calling KoolDeck, since it's the generic name.

Best way to tell is if it's slightly "shiny", has sharply defined edges which are a little "crunchy", and doesn't absorb a wine spill.

The "real" KoolDeck is a Mortex product, and can easily be installed by a do-it-yourself person.

Here's a link:

Depending on how long you intend to live in the house, you may want to pay a little for SunDeck, which is a far better long-term answer.

KoolDeck is quite porous and is much more subject to color fading, stain intrusions, and is difficult to match colors on.

Now, I have seen some folks install KoolDeck and then paint it with a high-polymer paint, too, and that looked pretty good, too.

However, it might not be that much more expensive to have SunDeck installed. They will come out and give you a free quote, and can contrast the product differences better than I can.

Good Luck!

Bob Hudson

</H1>

If the cooldecking is affected by your pressure cleaning it wasnt applied correctly. We do texture deck as well as cleaning and sealing and it should not budge once its been put down. Clean just as you would any concrete. If you are still leary about it. Turn the reg down on your pressure cleaner.

I called a pool company that applies cool decking before I did my first pool deck. They told me that if the decking came off during pressure washing it was not applied correctly in the first place. It would still be a good idea to test a spot.