Sign in to follow this  
Window_Ace

Methods & chems for 2/3 story Vinyl cleaning & wood prep

Question

Hello Everyone,

I've have lurked off and on for the last year or so and would like some direction. Our focus of business is window and gutter cleaning, but we have found it helpful to our clients, residential and commercial, and profitable to us, to be able to provide pressure cleaning services. I try to keep it to flat work, but many or our property managers would like us to clean the vinyl siding of their apartments and Condos. I have not used any chems (pressure only) and have had okay results on siding but feel there is an easier way to get the best results. To the point here, I have been asked to provide a bid for cleaning the vinyl siding, outside of gutters, and prepping all the wood trim, deck railing, and fencing (painted cedar) for new paint. What equipment, chems, and methods would you use to get this done. I have a 4 gal 4000 psi machine, access to a 4 gal 3700 psi machine, and am preparing to purchase a second machine. Could someone direct me to a prior thread that might help, or could you reply directly.

Thank you,

Scott Jones

Interlake Window Cleaning

Issaquah, WA

4 answers to this question

I'm fairly new too, but if you've been "lurking" for a while you have probably picked up more than you realize. You can use a mix of dawn dish soap and 12% bleach, but I think you're better off going with a product like citraclean, simple cherry or e plus. There are many more products but those 3 get the most positive remarks on this and other boards. To deliver the goods you either need an x-jet or downstream to reach the target. There are good points to each. The x-jet can deliver a stronger solution but you need to tote a bucket around with you. Downstreaming is effective, just a matter of getting the correct nozzle for your machine. Talk to Bob at Pressure Tek, he's the downstream guru. He hooked me up recently and I'm real happy with it. Either way you'll get good results. You don't want to use pressure to remove dirt from buildings. Soak it with the right mixture, let it sit there and do it's magic for a few minutes then...rinse, and watch the dirt slide off. Much simpler than trying to hit all the dirt with your pressure. Plus, I don't even want to start pointing out the potential hazards of your prior method, but you're opening yourself to lots of claims for damages if you try forcing dirt from vinyl or wood. I would strongly suggest using the search option at the top of the threads and getting specific information to any questions. I spend a lot of time looking here, pwn, pt state and other boards and find most every question I have has already been answered, just got to dig it up. Good luck

I agree with the above posting from Mount. If your just running into mold 7 mildew, cheap way is 12% & Dawn (Apple Blossum Conc.) I use it 95% of the time on vinyl condos it works great and the windows come out great as long as you rinse well. I Xjet you can really lay the chems on quick & strong if you need.

Wood paint prep, dont offer them the world, tell them you can remove mold, mildew loose dirt & loose paint. Some properties expect you to get a lot of the paint off. Thats what scrapers are for and thats painters work

Give me a call if you'd like I do complexes often. EASY WORK if done right

Jeff

843-446-5931

i concur. apply the wash solution with at least 1 or 2 percent shc (depending on how dirty it is), let it work and rinse. the x-jet or m-5 is an amazing addition to your equipment as you can meter your output with the proportioners and it's so much faster. i prefer the proportioners since it is so easy to go through a 5 gallon bucket without them. talk to bob at pressuetek. he's a super nice guy with plenty of good information (and it's free).

good luck,

rando