Sign in to follow this  
drush

Need help on ugly deck...

Question

I've been reading the posts here for the past month or so & have done a few jobs for family, friends & of course cleaned my own 400 sq. ft deck. I have an opportunity to work on a deck that was built about 20 yrs. ago, had been painted white approx. 5 yrs ago & the (vacation) HO's want it to have curb appeal again. It is PT pine, approx. 1200 sq. ft ( i added the rails & steps too) w/ various mold & chipped paint on traffic areas. I told them if I could do it, I would... if not, i would refer them to someone who could.

Would like any advise on strippers, cleaners, etc..??? I gave an estimate at $1.55 sq/ft. to JUST clean it & $2.60 sq/ft. to strip & clean. Did not quote to seal/stain, but may throw in for an extra 25-30% if they are interested after the HARD work is done. what do you guys think..?? I really want this job to add to my porfolio & am sure there are plenty of HO's in this resort area that need work done also.. SOOOO many grey decks in this vacation/rental development. thanks for your input... david

post-2556-137772173265_thumb.jpg

post-2556-13777217327_thumb.jpg

31 answers to this question

Well guys, thanks for asking. A true learning experience, but a profitable one at that. Many of you gave me feedback, advice & suggestions (a few including flammable solutions) & a couple of you guys said RUNNNNNNN. I got encouragement from Celeste ($$THANK YOU$$) & a simple dissertation that I referred to as this was going on. It was somewhat true, but inspiring at the same time. But, here in the mountains of NC in wintertime, a man's gotta' eat (& a cold beverage to go with it doesn't hurt) & I decided to do it. Estimate was for cleaning (one price), cleaning & stripping (another price). I did know that they wanted it stained/sealed, but I left that $$negotiation$$ for another day. They had the $$$, just didn't want to put that price out there yet.

I had most of everything (as it turned out) from previous DIY projects around the house, including the random sander, brushes, plastics (don't ever throw out old shower curtain liners cause they come in handy sometimes... just clean'em off w/ sumthing ya' got) & then ALL I needed was to call Russell & get me some of that HD-80 stripper stuff. NOTE: PPE here is purty' darn important here!!!!! Everybody says it, but DWELL time is crucial. The more stuff to remove, the longer it takes to work. KEEP IT WET was next lesson. Patience was next thing I learned & the propylene glycol added made it work great. Could've saved me a second bucket if I'd known that, but I learned again.

OK, long story shortened. 1200 sq/ft ptp deck 10 yrs old w/ layers of thompsons crap, brown paint, primer & then WHITE latex paint. Didn't look that bad to begin with, but I was ready for the challenge. Took 8 trips to the house.... stripping, cleaning, rinsing (many times) brightening/neutralizing, then stain/seal with Wood Tux Wet (Warm Honey Gold). Also convinced HO to replace rails instead of stripping or painting (finding a deck buddy that can do this helps) & save $$. They agreed.

Bottom line w/ wife being happy as well: $2495 for stripping & cleaning & additional $1100 for stain/sealing = she get's a new pair of shoes..... I got a job in between (another $1107) & bought a new PW'r..... Gotta' love the TGS. Thanks to everyones' input, suggestions & advice I was able to pull it off & to think, they want the BACK deck done next year. Time to eat.

Great Job..... thats what this business is all about. Provided solutions to other peoples problems and if you can do and make the customer happy you'll eat well.

You'll come across people who are loaded (or appear to be anyway) that will try and haggle you down and make you work cheaper but have faith and hold ground. Many will try and upon failing cave in. We had two over the past two weeks that "counter-offered" us on our proposal and after explaining we have firm costs and therefore a firm price they said "okay - lets do it".

Congrads!

Other than the almighty, about only thing more important than a mans pride, character, and integrity is feeding and caring for the faces...

Thank God you came to TGS before attempting that job!!

I truly admire your commitment and resolutions on this job. :)