Sign in to follow this  
JJ1980

Hydrogen peroxide

Does anyone use Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning? What is it good for, if anything? My uncle has a 55 gal drum of HP which he was using for cleaning blinds. He does not need it anymore and is willing to give it to me. I am not sure of the concentration %.

Can I use it?

There is a release of enough energy during the catayltic decomposition of 65% peroxide to evaporate all water and ignite combustible materials. Most cellulose materials contain enough catalyst to cause spontaneous ignition with 90%. ... Concentrated peroxide may decompose violently in contact with iron, copper, chromium and most other metals and their salts, and dust (which frequently contain rust).

Source: NIOSH-chemical reactivity [C.A.S. #7722-84-1]

Di-Sodiumperoxidicarbonate aka Sodium Percarbonate aka percarb is another form of hydrogen peroxide which is easier to get and safer. Hydrogen Peroxide, Stabillized can be used for cleaning but the problem in commercial cleaning is that it comes diluted to make it safe for some cleaning but with the catalytic decomposition of metals it comes into contact with can be a problem.

If you are cleaning a deck for example, this would have reactions with the fasteners (nails, screws etc).

The best thing to do is stick with what is common.

I have no suggestions on what to do with a 55gal drum of hydrogen peroxide regardless of the concentration. You may be able to sell it to a manufacturer if it is still within it's expiration date.

Rod!~

Dribble a little on your hand. If the contact spots turn white, it's a safe bet that it'll work okay for cleaning. I spilled some on me a few years back and it burned like hell, more than acid. Heed Rod's points, though...decomposing peroxide liberates pure oxygen gas and can make for a flammable environment under the right conditions. It's also possible that the stuff has decomposed to plain water by now if it has a vent lid on it or he vented it while draining.

Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer. It's strength and the associated safety precautions depend HUGELY on the % of H2O2 to water. 3% is what you buy at the drugstore to rinse out cuts. I gargle with it. 25% is sold in the hair care aisle to bleach hair blonde. 90%+ will violently decompose and can be used an a monopropellant rocket fuel.

H202 of any strength decomposes naturally and must be kept in a cool dark place or it becomes just water. As RYan mentioned: If this barrel is very old, it will be a fraction of what it once was.

As far as the violent decomposition process, here's what happpens. The decomposition equation appears as follows: 2 (H2O2) -> 2(H20) + 02 + heat.

heat + h20 = steam.

heat + 02 + fuel = fire.

Fire + h20 = steam + no fire.

Depending on the concentration, substrate, presence of fuel, etc you may get anything ranging from oxygen bubbles, to steam, to steam & fire.

All that said, if he used it for cleaning blinds it's probably <25%.

Just be careful if you do choose to use it and accidents will happen

Which raises the very important question: What's the proper neutralizer and first aid for H2O2? And do you have some on hand? My guess: flush with liberal amounts of water and treat as a burn.