Sign in to follow this  
John T

Hotel Pricing for Roundtables

Question

Why don't people book cheaper hotels when they go to the Roundtables? I know the Holiday in for Toms Roundtable has a group rate block for $96 instead of the $119 which is a good rate for a hotel of that quality but right down the road from there I can book at the Travel Inn for $45/nite..

I just go to these Hotels to sleep like I do at the other cheap Hotels like the Econo Lodges. Why don't the people who set up these roundtable go for the cheaper hotels to block off rooms? This is one of the things that I wondered over the years.

My money is better spent at a Roundtable then the bed I'm sleeping in for a nite or to.

What do others think about this.

9 answers to this question

Sorry John, I'm on the opposite side of this than you are. I prefer a hotel with all amenities, right down to swimming pools and bars/restaraunts.That way, you can bring wife and family if you like, and we can socialize at the hotel without fear of drinking and driving, or having to find a place to eat. Instead of socializing at the RT such as in this case, everyone could retire to the hotel and relax there. The difference in cost is worth the convenience to me.

The midwest roundtable (which was the most professional of those I have attended) we just had took place exclusively at the hotel. Aside from eating, we would have never had to leave the hotel.

Anybody for a round table at a Westin??? Free happy hours for guests from 5-7 now every day!

I'm with Larry on this one. I don't like roaches, or stains in my bed. I worked at a hotel (Best Western) for 6 years during and after high school, I know what goes on at some of these places and most of the time just like anything else- You get what you pay for!

Now, it's a different story when I go on a hunting trip or something, anyting beats sleeping on a hard ground in a sleeping bag...I'll go cheap there.

If the Roundtable like a Convention is in a Hotel I would definitely book there. I guess it depends on whats going on. Most Roundtables I usually go and leave the same day. I also don't check into a dive hotel. Those seedy hotel days are the thing of the past when Hard partying was high on the agenda.

Still I do look for the Econo lodges and places like that when I just need a stop off for a place to sleep which is usually all I need when traveling. I also book cheap flights like I did when I went to Texas a few weeks ago..$212 Roundtrip..yea it was 6 hrs with stop offs each way but that Time I can always use for something..Thank God for Cell phones and Laptops..

Now when my wife and Kids are involved thats another story..On my own I go cheap because I spend when I'm out........

Beth, hold tight, and I'm certain there will be pic's posted. I left town in a whirwind, and didn't even think to resupply my business card stash, let alone a camera.

My wife wasn't there with me, unfortunately. St. Louis is a part of her sales territory, so she was there two days this week already. I literally would have had to tie her up and throw her in the trunk to get her to see that (short, 2 hour) drive again!

I will say this about all rountables though. We argue about many things on these boards (politics, religion, the war, etc...). But when we all sit down together, all that seems to melt away. I have a great respect for all the people who post here, and I believe we can all learn from others successes and failures. That goes for all the suppliers and vendors too. From here on out, I'm going to try to stick with only the professional and fun stuff around here. Roundtables as a whole, ROCK! If anyone hasn't availed themselves to this opportunity to basically FREE information, you are only hurting yourselves.

Celeste,

My wife is going to take Beth's marketing class and if there is an opening In Tom Vogles class I'm going to take that. Do you know where those classes are going to be held at?? I need to know asap so I can book my hotel.

Thanks