Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Cool Feed Scanner for receipts and cards

Hello Everyone, On my way to the St. Louis Roundtable Friday I was at DFW Airport and saw this kiosk showing a scanner. I checked it out. I had just eaten at McDonald's and wanted to try this thing out. It feeds the paper in one side and out the other after you push the scan button. The receipt pops up on the monitor and opens a spreadsheet showing what you purchased, the amount, tax, total, etc.... It looks real good. I asked how accurate it is and the guy told me that it is about 95% accurate but you should always double check anyway. I was scanning my receipts on my scanner and saving them into files my month and year. This will do that plus add them up and put them into deductible/non-deductible columns but you can change them as needed. Here is the link: NeatReceipts Scanalizer Home

I am thinking about purchasing it but wanted to see if anyone has it already and what they think. If it works good I can get rid of the shoebox/ filebox of receipts and get tax time done faster each year.

I went to Office Depot and Comp USA and they both sell it for $199.00

Everyone I talked to does not know anything about it other than what the box mentions. You have to put the sheet of paper or receipt into the slot and push the button and it grabs it and it comes out the other side. I found their forum on their site and basically it just scans the receipt and puts a spreadsheet up there with the info, amount, tax, and total. I called and talked to a rep and asked about multiple lines on a receipt and he said there was a feature to "split up the receipt" so you can get each line entered separately. I was hoping for more. It does make the scanning faster in my opinion as you can feed the receipts in one by one instead of opening the scanner, arranging them, scanning them, taking them off, putting in more, etc.... I am still thinking about it. They said that the IRS is accepting digitally scanned receipts for records and if there was an audit. I do not like the way that the receipts are fading faster each year both the ink and thermal. To protect ourselves we would probably need to scan them. It would be nice to be able to scan the receipt and the software separate each line item so you can have the totals for each type of item and categorize them automatically. Maybe some day. You do need to look at the scan and make sure it is ok as sometimes if there is a lot of logos or extra graphics on the receipt the ocr might not recognize it. I might still buy it. I am thinking still.

Chris,

Many moons ago I worked for a software company that got its beginnings on a product really similar to this one. It was a document imaging company with web based search solutions, as well as software for document management. Basically, this is a scanner. It may convert the OCR to a file compatible with other programs and work fine for you. A scanner and decent OCR software will yield the same result. Is this a good deal? Ask yourself if you really see yourself using it or will you do it for a while and stop. If this is a process that you can easily implement as a part of your work routine then it may be a good fit for you, but to me that's the key.

OCR - Reviews and Price Comparisons – from PC Magazine

Ocr Scanning Software - compare the options here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP010771031033.aspx

If it were me, and if I was going to scan and keep all this paper in a digital format, I would get a decent software package and a decent scanner, and forget the cute little one....

Beth