Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

Tennis court

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi Jeffery

I've cleaned several hardcourts that have been unused for a long time and then became covered in mould etc. They are easy enough, but don't expect miracles.

Try and find out what type & brand of coating has been used, as well as how old it is. Then check with the manufacturer for cleaning methods, but the ones I have contacted only have regular maintenance guidelines. Some coatings have a very limited life span.

The surface is probably an acrylic paint or similar - just very thick, and like all acrylic paints will break down in the sun. The pressure from your surface cleaner will tear away the broken-down/oxidised acrylic - you will see the particles in the rinse water. It is very difficult to get an even finish, there will be lots of overlap marks. You could try using a broader tip (and smaller oriface to maintain pressure) to reduce this.

To help remove the mould and dirt apply your usual driveway mix. I find breaking the court into quarters keeps it manageable.

Rinsing is the big time killer; as the court is (meant to be) flat there is no natural drainage - just random flows. You will probably end up rinsing several times, as dirty water always flows to where you have just cleaned and rinsed.

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures. (not very computer savy).

We did a Tennis court at a cottage last year that hadn't been done in 4 years. It was bad. We just used hot water and a surface cleaner to wash and cold and a dual wand to rinse. Turned out imazing. Just a note not to stay in one spot to long or you will leave marks in the paint.