Sign in to follow this  
commonwealth

Picking the Right Pump(s)

Hello Everyone,

I have been gone away from pressure washing for some time for reasons beyond my control. I now have the opportunity to get back in and am building another pressure washer. I have built several machines in the past so this is not new territory.

When I start pressure washing again I think/hope to focus on the following areas:

· Residential-including brick and vinyl siding, sidewalks, driveways, and roof work

· Commercial-strip malls, sidewalks, drive-thru, etc

· Heavy equipment including backhoes, dozers, core drills, loaders, etc.

· And lastly would be OTR truck fleets if the circumstances (for me) are just right.

I have a 50 HP diesel engine that I am going to use for this project. I also have 2 hot-boxes that are capable of 10 gpm.

When I start I will be a one-man-show again. But later I may add someone as the business grows. I don’t have a surface cleaner but will probably buy/build one soon.

As far as water supply goes, I have several 325 gal tanks to choose from. But I really prefer to use the customers hose bib when possible to save towing weight.

So my question is easy (yea right lol). What pump(s) should I use. Now I’m not talking about brand but more about psi and gpm. I can use just about any size pump but have thought about a couple of ideas in the way of using 1 large pump vs 2 smaller pumps.

If I use say a 10 gpm pump as an example then I may have more gpm than I need for some jobs and water supply. I can use 2-5 gpm pumps and have a selection in that I could connect the outputs to 10 gpm (at least I think I can).

Also I would like to add that money IS an issue in my selection also.

Anyway, any of you folks got any thoughts/ideas ???

Thanks for your help

Greg McDonald

I would use 2 smaller one and put a slide clutch on the other one, actually the way I have my is I have 3 pumps on one diesel and I have slide clutches on all of them.

Lets you work on one and the other 2 are still runnin. Sure helps when you have trouble out on the job and ther is three fella there sitting around because one pump is down.

If for some reason you think you need more flow you can make yourself a hose with a T and put both pumps into one hose and double your volume but not the pressure.

Just my 2 pennies.

FullBlast,

Your 2 pennies was just what I was needing.

I had thought about a slide type mechanism. Is your pump(s) mounted on a slide that you actuate with a lever? That's what I was thinking about.

And can you maybe elaborate on your machine and the type of work you do? I feel I am on the right track with what I'm thinking but more ideas are always great.

Thanks

Greg

I have 2 diesel p/w rigs.

In my one trailer I have a 60hp. Duetz air cooled with 2 general pumps mounted solid on it, it has no clutches what so ever and I wish many times it did but it was not designed for it when we built it(cheap you know) start the engine and it pumps.

The other trailer has a John Deere 90hp with 3 pump on slide clutches with just a handle to engage the, and it also has clutch on the engine too.

When I built it I had put air cylinders to engage them but had alot of trouble with compressor so I just use the manual handle to turn them on.

Let me know if you need them slide clutches I know where to get them.

O by the way I wish I was down there washing.

I growed up in the Blue Grass State.

West Liberty was my home town.

I have a sister and a brother that live in Morehead.

Full Blast,

Thanks for the info. Yes I would love to get the info on the slide clutches.

I have heard of West Liberty but never been there. I have spent some time in Morehead though. We have an EMS competition there every year. Actually have done some camping at the lake there. Beutiful Place.....

So come on back. You can clean from West Liberty down and I'll go from Barbourville up. We'll meet in the middle for lunch.

Before I go let me ask another question. What pumps are you running as far as gpm and psi?

Have a great day

Greg

If it helps, We have a hydrotek 3000psi/8gpm 2 gun unit that uses an A.R. (Anno Reverberi) pump and it has performed well for us and is going on 3 years old. It has taken a bit of use and still cranks the pressure.

A.R. pumps are less expensive than most and some models are hit-n-miss with performance and durability from what I have gleaned form reading over the years but it is a suggestion none the less.

Rod!~

btw, it is a belt drive unit.

Hey Greg my wife said you called but I was very busy with a friend's wife in the hospital on her death bed I spent some time with him today and trying to get everything done.

Give me a call tomorrow sometime I will talk a lil.

Maybe I will try you tomorrow.

Untill then DON"T buy COMET.

Think General!!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

FullBlast,

Yea I gave you a call today but no worries. Definately sorry about your friend. I can't imagine the pain but my prayers are with him.

I will try you tomorrow. And as far as the brand I definately will buy a general. I have used Comet in the past and was not happy at all. I have had good service with AR also but the parts are higher and harder to find.

Someone today suggested just going with a single 10 gpm and if needed nozzeling it down to 5gpm and let the unloader take care of the overflow.

I kind of like that idea. Definately need a quality unloader though.

I can buy a 10 gpm for about $125 dollars more than a 5 gpm. And that would save me from building slidding mounts.

And then later if I decide to I could add that second pump for another worker if needed. 50 hp gives me alot of options.

Greg McDonald

606-627-3442