Sign in to follow this  
misskriss

House washing

Question

I posted almost the same question in another section, but here goes. When you are cleaning a house or mobile home should you use hot or cold water? Also, I have heard you can use truck and trailer "soap" for home and mobile home siding is this true? And if the siding is painted aluminum will the truck wash hurt the paint? Also, should you use a certain pressure setting or is there no such thing? I am brand new to this, so you'll have to excuse me if I seem to ask some silly questions. Anyway, thanks for the help!

28 answers to this question

I prefer hot water but you can still do a good job without it.

I don't like to use the truck wash but it will work and there are folks who use it successfuly. I would use just industrial grade 15% bleach and a good soap of some kind mixed together and then applied to the house through either down stream or up stream injection. Be careful with aluminum siding, espiacaly the older it is. It will damage very easily and for that reason I myself prefer not to do aluminum siding unless things get slow. Hope this will help. There really isn't a pressure control other than the tip you use. The smaller the hole, the more the pressure but it will only go as high as your pump is capable of.

By the time the bleach reaches the plants it so diluted it won't hurt them, but always prewet all plants and rinse afterwards just to be safe. Be really careful around rose bushes, they are very sensative and will die very easily. I use soak the ground around them til the soil can't take any more then cover them with plastic.

You can use just dishwashing soap and be fine but on really dirty house I would use a much better soap, an emulsifier of some kind.

misskriss,

Just my .02 cents but where ever you heard about the truck wash I would imagine this is what they meant. First , there are different types of "coverings and coatings" on mobile homes. Any vinyl or aluminum sided homes(just like any other homes) you can use the above mentioned. However , just like gutters , there are some older mobile homes with the same surfaces in these cases bleach and cold water will not do the trick. Many chemical companies will sell there truck washes for gutter cleaning. The same principal applies here as with gutters, you won't get gutters clean with cold water and bleach.You do want to be careful on the surfaces to which you are applying the chem though. In these cases hot water and the "truck wash" will get rid of the black rain stains on the mobile home or trailer.The key is knowing the difference between the ones with the "baked on paint" , aluminum , or vinyl sided covering. We have 3 accounts with mobile homes and this is from my experiences. I hope I have helped.

I never knew pressure washing was actually this easy! Thanks Chuck for the info. Maybe we will just start out with soap and bleach and see what happens. That seems so much safer than putting a chemical on a house. I mean why do it if you don't have to? How can you tell if the piant is baked on or brushed on? Is it obvious?

Whoa, careful there hoss! Maybe surf around for 10 hours or so on every PW site you can find. Read the posts until your eyes start to water. Then ask questions, and read some more.

If you take your time, educate yourself, then hopefully you won't discover how difficult- not easy, it can be.

That way, maybe you won't get a call from your customer saying that you have damaged their siding, blew out the seals on their windows, spotted them, killed their grass and plants, and got overspray on their neighbor's house- and they would both like you to stop by later to ask you who your insurance carrier is. You do have insurance coverage, right?

And- bleach and soap are chemicals. Used in the right way- very effective- used / mixed wrong- very dangerous.

Good luck to you. Start surfing!

r_latt makes some great points. Experience means alot when identifing different surfaces and how to clean them. Further ,on the older mobile homes it very easy to get water inside the windows and such. Even the new ones can be a mess because the sills are like a "flake board" material and once it is wet you have problems. You will definitely get "blamed" for any problems and it will cost you much more than you got for washing. For the amount of money you get from a mobile home it may not be worth it at first. Like anything , be careful and no when something isn't right, some times it is better to back up and get help than to forge forward full speed ahead.

Kristina a suggestion if not already done, use relatives homes and offer to clean them free for the experience and practic.

Have a sit down talk with the guys and make sure they both understand well all what is being said here, I am not into cleaning homes but I do know from reading you need to know before what it is your cleaning.

With the truck wash chemical you will dilute it more, read the mix formula and err on the side of caution, mix weak and add till you get it where it does the job.

Jon

You all make very good points. I didn't mean that pressure washing was a cake walk, but it seems that it is not nearly as complex as I thought it was. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible and these boards are helping ALOT. I like to ask the guys who do this for a living as wel as read articles so that I can get a rounded veiw on things. From what I have heard I am wondering if we should even start on mobile homes right now. None of the men have done this before so maybe they should get some practice first. And we have a few relatives who have volunteered their homes for our use, which is nice.

Thanks for all the advice eveyone!

Kristina:)

Kristina,

No offense taken, Kristina. It's just that there are alot of other markets in PW and each has it's own techniques, equipment, and chemicals to use. Housewashing, deck restoration, vent cleaning, fleet cleaning, flat work, roof cleaning- that isn't even half of them.

An idea for you. One market that you might look at- do some searches on- that is a fairly easy place to start- and very little chance to do damage- would be cart washing. Go to the largest grocery store chain in your area- wash the grocery carts for them. Check the local rules / laws first about reclaimation- if needed or not in your area- and acceptable chemicals to use. Good luck1

Very good points guys, practice, practice, practice.

I worked for someone else doing it before striking out on my own. Learning,researching and practicing can make this a much more profitable venture for you and will save you the trouble of learning the hard way,although no matter how good you are its bound to happen every now and then.

if their is no sign of mold or mildew just good ol dirt.

Would you still use bleach?

Dose bleach have any cleaning power's on it's own?

What about these oxi-clean type bleach's, would they work?

I see EFC38 has oxi-clean type stuff in it and it say's it can be used as a house wash.

What are the dangers of useing bleach?

What should i never mix with bleach?

Is their any surface on a house that bleach will do damage to? like BRASS?

What is the best way to apply a house wash?

I hear talk about laundry detergents and dish soaps

These are made to strip dirt but have zero gloss enhancers in them and can leave the surface chalky. They also dry out pigment's in paint.

What is the cause of the black streaks on the siding and gutters?

Is it safe to wash the roofs of mobile homes?

That was more than a few...lol... Bleach can damage glass and brass if left on to long. Never allow it to dry. I always put atleast a little bleach in because sometimes the mildew isn't visible til you hit it with the bleach and it begins to die. I don't think there are any real dangers if it is used properly. Taking the time to rinse really well as well as pre-wetting plants and grass generally eliminates the unwanted side affects of bleach use. I don't see any reason not to use oxigenated bleach as a house wash. Finding a good surficant for it might be a problem, but i'm sure theres one out there. There are so many ways I really don't think you can classify one as the best. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it. I use to think I had the best way, but alot of other peoples ways work just as well. Most houses I wash are semi-gloss paint so the drying of the pigments and gloss enhancement is not a problem. I usally just use a much milder soap on flat or older paint.

A tip that I ran across on another board. After a house wash / deck restoration- the last thing the guy does is apply Mircle -Gro to the plants- (just uses the MG sprayer and garden hose) says the homeowners love it, the plants look better than they ever did within 2 days- and only pennies to do.

im glad you like my post's. The mirical grow is something i posted about a long time ago.

My questions were to make people think.

I more or less felt slightly offended at the thinking that housewashing was as easy as falling off a log.

I like doing house washing and have stream lined my way of doing it to a science.

If someone want's to make some money just figure out a way to easily remove the SHOT GUN FUNGUS.

That is one of the biggest problems in housewashing today.

Some mistake the little black dot's as fly crap or spider crap.

This stuff is the biggest pain in the butt ever.

The bleach thing is something i have been looking at very closely.

CL2[bleach] + H20[water] = HOCL[free chlorine] and HCL[Muratic acid]

Most household bleachs contain twice as much LYE as SH[sodium hyperchlorite]

The free chlorine is what kill's the mold,the muratic acid is what helps to clean and the LYE is what can kill the plants.

Depending on what you mix the bleach with will depend the PH.

Bleach at higher then 12 PH has less of the HOCL so anything you mix bleach with should not have a high PH.

Also remember to buy your bleach at stores that sell a lot of bleach and dont stock more then a week's worth at one time.

Bleach will loose it's 6% SH rateting by as much as 50% in 6 week's after it's bottled. If on a shelf in sunlight even faster.

liquid pool chlorine at 12% SH is more dangerous but is much better.[CHECK LOCAL LAWS ABOUT THE AMOUNT YOU CAN LEAGLEY CARRY]

Make sure you go the clorox's web site and download MSDS

You need them for every chem you have on your rig.

Never breath in bleach/wear a reasperator not a stupid dust mask with the rubber band.

Think long term effects.

Ron, was wondering why you asked those questions because I know you know the answers to them. I understand what you are saying about thinking it is "that easy". some soap and some bleach? Doing it like that I think will put you out of business faster than the newspaper will take your money to advertise. I think there are about 20 different house wash recipes that I have heard of, I think some work and some don't. Hey, since we are taling about washing the house, shouldn't we also talk about the gutters, windows, application procedure, dwell time, cold weather, hot weather, stain removal, waxing, removing chalkiness, blowing off siding, closing windows (seems like a no brainer, but guess what) not forcing water through..., electrical outlets, proper pressure. Now, doesn't sound as easy as initially thought, he he. Oh, and up selling.

what your talking about is what i am trying to do.

Give some interest to a new site.

Show some people that they have a good support team here.

I figured instead of writting a book i/you/we could just help as these topics came up.

Beth who is an excellent writter should have a library section and re-write some of the best postings to put in their.

She could use some from the other bbs to get it started.

No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Seem's lately TONE is as important as the info.

Im sure beth will keep most on the strait and narrow.

What are the rules for mentioning products by name?

Beth you can move or delete this post. It prob should'nt be here.

Originally posted by ron p

what your talking about is what i am trying to do.

Give some interest to a new site.

Show some people that they have a good support team here.

I figured instead of writting a book i/you/we could just help as these topics came up.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I will help any way I can. I am not an expert, (the day I stop learning will be the day I get out of the biz) but if I have more exp. than someone else, I will gladly lend a hand.

I like using bleach and emulsifier-plus from e-spec. It works really well at getting everything off the house and is versitile. It can be used full strength as a great degreaser and concrete cleaner. But there are so many diffrent mixes out there that work great. I suggest finding out what you can get to do the job for the best price and best convience. There are alot of products. Just look at everyones suggestions, try the ones you like and see what works for you.

I like using bleach and emulsifier-plus from e-spec. It works really well at getting everything off the house and is versitile.

Chuck that is exactly what I use the same mix as you. Now for my two cents worth. In pressure washing time is money. I am just trying to make a point here so dont think Im coming down on anyone. Why would anyone use a dishsoap or laundry detergent to clean anything but what they were designed for. My point is sure they will work but will they work as good and as fast as a chemical designed to do a particular job. I would never pull up to a house and pull out my Dawn dish soap and bleach and let my customer see me do it. Bleach doesnt bother me because I can explain that one as it kill the mold and mildew but dish soap. I would rather use the quality chemicals and look prof. and speed through a job then to let a customer see me using dish soap and having to use a higher pressure to do the work that the chemical should do. Time = Money speed is the key. This fact alone can set you apart. You can have a house say 1500 sq ft bid by two companies at the same amount contrator A uses Dish soap and bleach and contractor B uses good chemical and bleach both bid the house @ $150.00. Contractor A is there two hrs and contractor B is their an hour both made the same amount of money on the job but contractor B made more per hr of work because the quality of the chemical will make you faster.

I use ultra Ivory but I add it in addition to the emulsifier plus to help the windows rinse better. My thinking is most dishes are made of glass and it helps them rinse streak free... but I repeat you should add a quality chemical as Paradise said. It will help the job go alot smoother and get off stuff dish soap would never remove without scrubbing.