Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

just to see what you think

Ok.. so casting a forward idea I just wanted to see what everyone thought of this idea.

I currently have rigged up a bronco of mine with a 300 gallon water tank with an intank heater able to heat the water to 170 degrees farenheit. along with the tank I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 in inlet and 1 in outlet which I fill with water softener salt and 3 cans of normal ionized salt. a small pump which circulates the flow between the 300 gallon tank and the 10 gallon tank.. "I wish I had a camera.. it would be easier to explain"" from the large tank then which is at a pretty heavy concentration of sodium chloride. Now.. from the large 300 gallon tank I then have plumbed a 5 GPM inline water pump running to a 5ft adjustable to 12 ft spray bar on the back of my truck supported by brackets located near the bumper and a v brace located on the cab.

I've tried this last year with great results as the heated water melted the ice and the sodium chloride solution worked great for inhibiting any new formation of ice, and melted any ice that the hot water didn't. The only downside is having to run slow to get adequate coverage, but I was able to do 100yd x 10ft driveways in 15 minutes and get great coverage. I charged them $300 for up to 3 applications and $75 for each application after that..

now for the negatives

--- to get the heated water i had to wait for the electric heater to bring the water to temp. typically 45 minutes- 1 hour.

--- running out of solution in freezing temperatures isn't exactly fun because most faucets are frozen and i usually had to resort in going back to my garage where I would fillup using my garage faucet but the (+) side is during the drive the water would heat and mix into solution very well.

the sodium chloride solution leaves nice residue all over the place, not to mention that long term reliability of parts with saltwater running thru them is what I'm questioning.

Like I said i just tried this out this past season I just wanted to get a few suggestions and seen what everyone thought about it..

Is this setup actually in your Bronco? If so, what kind of suspension and brakes have you got on that thing?

At room temperature, water weighs about 8.3 #s per gallon for 2490# in your 300 gal. tank. Add the salt and the tanks and pump/spray equipment, and you have a very heavy (probably overloaded) short-wheelbase vehicle, operating on ice. Sounds a little dicey. I think stock Broncos are built on half-ton suspensions, unless special ordered.

That said, if the system works, and you can sell the service for a fair price, while being safe and having the proper coverages; I'd say it is a good idea. I'd look into moving this gear onto a trailer, and pulling it with a more substantial rig, maybe. Or you could install it in a van, or step-van. I've seen plenty of spray equipment at the local farm stores and in Dultmeier's catalogue. I think Dultmeier even builds rigs for deicing, i saw one in their showroom last year, but it may have been a custom deal.

Brine-based ice control is pretty common in my state, but I don't have a clue what the going rates are. I also haven't seen any information on your exposure as a contractor, if you treat an area, and there is an injury or property damage there later as a result of ice.

Be safe, and check your exposures.

Sounds like alot of work with your setup when theres alot of liquid ice controls out there like Magic-O or Caliber M100 just to name a few that work better then a salt brine and at a lower temp.. Or how about just a tailgate spreader with road salt or other products like Clearlane by Cargill or Magic salt. Are you going out after the fact or are you pre-treating these surfaces first?

yes I've only done driveways in the past and once done I would get out take a slow walk up the driveway to ensure complete coverage and de-icing.

On the bronco I have a rancho suspension with the rear being able to be adjusted on the highest setting i'm able to have 4 people jump on the thing and it barely budges, so I took everything I had gathered and devised this..

all together it cost me $350 because I was able to piece everything together mostly from what I had.

I'm skeptical about doing ANY commercial property due to the whole liability thing. I would have to have one "HE__" of a disclaimer covering everything immaginable, requiring one of those expensive people called lawyers to draw it up. Wouldn't the same policy apply for people plowing snow? or even salting a parking lot thou?

I never had any problems with the weight in the ice or snow due to the added traction from weight and 4x4 capabilities. 1 terrible downside is the nice decrease in gas mileage i see. woo hoo.. a wonderful 7 MPG

HOWever I did have 1 slight problem which i had to back up a driveway while applying the solution it was nearly 1/4 in thick of ice but at a crawl it melted and I was done with a 150yd driveway in 25 minutes:lglolly:

I mainly do exterior washing; decks and flatwork, however during the winter months nobody cares much about the above mentioned 3.. so just looking for ways to expand

yes I am pretreating before ice/snow hits with the solution I ensure complete coverage not pellets I tried that with my father before and it looked like a chineese checkerboard with holes just merely melted in the ice not what I want.