Sign in to follow this  
krpalex

HD-80 and lots of Fuzzies

Question

I just did my first deck this year, it had some old failing stain on it that looked like those old red picnic tables back in the 70's and 80's, the guy was thinking about building a new deck but called me first. I stripped it with Hd-80 and Used Citralic, I beleive I am going to have to sand it before I stain it. Any Opinions on how to prevent this from happenin g in the near future as I am a newbie.

10 answers to this question

I think either two things;

1. The dwell time was too long

2. You had it mixed too strong.

The finish you were trying to take off, was it latex or oil?

Actually, I went back today to finish up the power washing and it didn't look nearly as bad, I think all I will have to do is sand the hand rails, I think it was a latex stain but I am not sure, it was flaking in some areas.

Those fuzzies can be a mystery of science. They can come from chemical being too strong, dwelling too long, wood left untreated too long, too much pressure, too little pressure or for no apparent reasons. I cleaned a cedar fence with a light bleach solution (was new construction) and got some fuzzies with a 500 psi rinse. You'll get to know your wood and chems as you go along and learn to adjust your technique as you go along. You cannot always avoid them. There are faster ways to get rid of them then just sanding. We use Osborne brushes on variable rate orbital polishers. They take some getting used to but are very fast once you get the hang of them.

Ken what Os Brush composition exactly do you use. I used to live in Youngstown Ohio and my father used to work in the mill and got a lot of their brushes after the mill closed down. I might try my hand at it on my own stuff until I get the hang of it.. I have a small section of fencing just laying down hoping to grow the nastiest and funkiest stuff to get my hands dirty with different situations.. 1 board painted with latex paint, 1 nearly rotted board with Behr yick stain!! and so on and so forth.. I purpously scuffed 1 board with running a 15 degree tip on my 4000psi 4gpm machine to see what not to do!.. now that's a board I'd like to see if I can't do a little work to.. I'm eager to try new things, but I always work on something invaluable before I'll try something new on a job

Greg, the ones I have are 6" brushes with 2" rectangular cut bristles. When I re-order I will probably go with a 4" brush to reduce the weight. Most guys start complaining after working with these things for more than 20 minutes at a pop.

Hey ken would you mind sending me a link to somewhere that sells these osborne brushes. Did a search but not coming up with much since im not sure what im looking for. Is osborne the brand? If so what are the actual brushes like

Appreciate it

-Charlie

McMaster-Carr has the 6" Osborn's with the round bristles, there less aggressive than the rectangulars but for the price you can't beat them. They sell them for 30 some dollars each, with excellent shipping. I'm also gonna experiment with another brush this year, if it's any good I'll post what it is. Go to McMaster-Carr on the section to the left were you search. Type in Abrasive Brush and then you'll see the Cup Brushes just scroll down till you find them. Get the 80 grit.