Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

Efflorescence problem

Question

Hey all. I washed a doctor's office this weekend and had a problem getting the efflorescence off of the brick. I tried NMD-80 cut 4:1 but it didn't even hardly touch it. I'll be calling eacochem later today, but I thought that I'd check with you guys first.

Any suggestions?

post-1355-137772175805_thumb.jpg

post-1355-137772175812_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Hey Joel -

What did Eacochem tell you? I'm shocked that NMD80 didn't help. I just used some today on some brick with efflo on it and worked great! I'm curious to hear what they recommended.

- John

Hi Oddjobs,

I had one not as bad as yours today over here, hit it with Hydrochloric Acid dwell for around 5 mins, then wash off, Efflo all gone. I have 33% neat so cut it to 17.5 % (50-50 with water).

Hope this helps.

Talked to Mike at Eacochem today and he recommended a two step treatment. GSR followed by NMD-80. He said that he thought it was white scum and that should do the trick.

I ordered a gallon ($$$ YIKES $$$) and I'll post pics ...

I have to say I really enjoy working with Mike at Eacochem. He threw in a sample of calcite remover with my order, just in case...

Celeste, any pics would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see this stuff in action...

Thanks,

I go 8oz per gallon mixed warm. spray on full strength, dwell for about 3-5 minutes keeping wet, then hit it with 160 degree water 3500psi. Worked for me several times... Ox is cheap, try it.

Celeste,

You are right on the money about that. I should have noted that I'm tipped down to around 1000psi using my deck wand. Too much pressure will aggravate the problem. As hard as brick may seem, its only clay thats been hardened with heat. I am assuming that most folks who visit here are professional enough to not start out with the 0 degree tip at full pressure. I have actually cut an Old Chicago brick in half with a 4000psi cold water machine with a 0 degree tip, as an experiment/demonstration. Scary.