Sign in to follow this  
Jim Eme

Eliminate Gas Cans ?

Question

The tank for my skid is only 8 gallons and I have been filling two 5 gallon cans to put on the trailer. What I would like to do is just pull gas directly from my van/gas tank and eliminate needing to carry the extra gas cans. I was thinking about a small 12v pump,hoses, and an on/off switch run off the skid battery. Has anyone done this and how did you set it up.

Thanks,

Jim

The Clean Machine

6 answers to this question

Just remember that this would have to be a setup that you would still have to fill up and disconnect because DOT regulations will not allow you to have the hookup fixed.

Thanks for the reply. I was going to disconnect after filling the tank. I have found myself having to pull off a job just to get gas or crossing my fingers that I was not going to run out.

Once again Thanks.

Jim

Instead of hooking it up to the gas tank of your car.... Just buy a race tank from summit or jegs.com.... you can get a poly fire safe 12-15 gall tank and still run your stock moter pick up into it.

Cody is dead on. While it is a great idea, hooking up to the vehicle is a dangerous proposition. Get a metal fuel cell from Northern. Bolt it down and plumb it into your existing fuel tank/draw line.

Or tap into the van fuel tank w/rubber hoses. Install a 12V pump inline. Use a push button switch to control the pump. Drop the hose into the PW engine tank and filler up.