Sign in to follow this  
anthony szabo

Seal Maxx sealer failing

Question

If anyone has some advice on the stripping and removal of Seal Maxx I would like to know how things worked for you.

I getting several calls to remove their product. I'm guessing a strip and neautralize is the answer. But if anyone has experience with this type of situation I would appreciate any help .

Thanks

Tony

4 answers to this question

Tony, I've been bidding against seal maxx down here in St. Louis. I tell the customers that if they ever become unhappy with their product, then they have to tear down and build it new again.

I tell everyone nothing last forever. Everyone wants that magic 10 year stain. Forget it.

I've got a lot of experience with it. It is permanent, but knocking it down and rebuilding isn't necessary. Clean the deck the way you normally would...I recommend HD 80 from Russell. SealMaxx is IN the wood, not on it. You can't get it out of the wood, but the surface is still workable.

Clean it and neutralize it. Then apply a stain that doesn't penetrate very deeply, you will probably have to go with a water based stain. If you try to use an oil based stain, it will try to penetrate deeper than SealMaxx will let it penetrate, which will result in pooling of the stain and lots of work to make it look even.

You'll have better luck with a water-based stain, apply lighter coats and let it dry between coats. Should work fine.

Hey Kevin, so you can get down a semi trans without it looking too blotchy? I don't want to tell people their deck is hopeless. I don't see Seal RX or SealMaxx in my market but I'm sure if certain distributors have their way, one or the other will be ;-)