Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

problems with hot deck

Question

I just went to look at a customers deck today that I stained last May - well restained last year with two wet coats after had done two years previous to that. Well the finish is ok - but the deck just looks brutal - and I figured it out! The deck is soooo hot - that it is making the sap ooze out the top and push the stain off. Is there anything that can be done to combat this? It is pressure treated - I am about to recommend they just rip it up and put something nice down. As a side note - they have white vinyl siding - and it oozes white crap all down the siding onto the deck - is this chalk? Can other prep and different products be more appropriate for sap oozing decks in hot sun?

5 answers to this question

It's sap leaching out it's the nature of the PT PINE beast! You can scrap it sand it and i've seen oxalic melt it when after stripping.You can't stop it till it's ran it's sap course. Are you can replace the board.

It's more noticable when you put a darker stain then the sun makes the sap crystalize.

Scrape off the excess and use some turpentine to remove the residue. As long as there is sap, it will continue to be exuded until it is depleted. By the time you get to it, it will have probably reached that extent.

Rod!~

The first time I touched this deck 3 years ago - there was a bunch of sap - took it off with VM&P Naptha - took it right off. Then again did the same thing last year - but didn't strip the deck - but sanded down in areas. It is there again. I think most boards have the capability of oozing sap - it's just this deck is so pulverizingly hot. On a sidenote - does anyone have recomendations for people with oozingly hot decks? I think the fact it has no shade, faces south, and the house is blindingly white vinyl all contribute to atrocious heat. Will a stain loaded with more trans-oxide pigments help to cool things down a bit?

On a sidenote - does anyone have recomendations for people with oozingly hot decks? ?

Replace the board is the only thing you can do stop the problem all together.Removing the sap by spot sanding and touch up as needed.I hope you're using a stain that's gonna blend in that would make it so much easier.

Yeah, if you have a vein running down the length of the board, I would say replace it. Veins tend to dry out and break up in chunks. A little sap leaching around knots, that I would not replace a board over.

Beth :cup: