Sign in to follow this  
danster

Coil cleaning

What do you guys use to clean your coil for hot water. A couple of weeks ago I hade a fire in my boiler. The boiler is a 12 Volt stand alone hot box. My voltage got too low for it to fire but some fuel went in the chamber and soaked the insulation. The boiler ignited again and "Poof" we had a fire. Also had plenty of hot water for a little while, was even getting it to steam with 300 ft of hose....oops. Anyways, now the coil seem to be clogged up. Whenever I plug the pressure to it I barely have anything at the other end. I figure that it got very hot and some calcium deposit or something is plugging the coil. It doesn't leak and seem in very good condition upon inspection but it just seems plugged.

I usually used CLR and just run it thru a little pump and have it recirculate thru the coil for an hour or so and it would clean the pipe real good. This time it doesn't seem to work.

Have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dan

I have had that happen and when I pulled the coil out it had collapsed the coil. I am certain that it was really hot because the burner housing was red hot when I noticed it. I do not know how hot yours got, but I would bet it was plenty hot for it to do that. Might want to pull the coil and check it out.

Been there, done that. Had to remove coil to change out insulation. The bottom part was still soaked in fuel and it was just fried. I cleaned the outside of the coil and in between to remove all the soot and inspected the coil thouroughly. Everthing seemed fine. I have been recirculating CLR for almost 3 hours now and seems to be improving. I will let it sit in the coil overnight to see and run the circulation pump in the morning to see if it dislodges.

Oh! it must have gotten real hot. It was around 25 deg Farenheit outside and I had a 300 ft of hose and about 200 ft of it was on the ground and I was getting steam at the gun. It was great though, I was thawing out a truck scale, you should have seen the ice melt. Too bad its not like that all the time lol

I think I will get another boiler and put them insync and get steam when I want some. It cleans like you wouldn't believe. The only thing I'll need new hose and gun to take that kind of temp.

Dan