Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

window screens

Question

i've got a job contracted on a house that has plenty of mildew on the windows behind the screens. the homeowner is going to remove the screens before i wash as some of these screens are on the upper level. i was thinking of washing the screens while he had them off. i suppose a garden hose will be plenty of pressure but i'm curious as to what to clean them with? they really are not in bad shape but i'm sure it's a good gesture on my part. any suggestions or experience on this one?

thanks,

rando

3 answers to this question

Randy,

Downstream your normal housewash mix. Rinse with the chem tip.

I have customers ask me all the time if they should remove the screens and I tell them that unless there is a need to remove a lot of bug debris from between the window and the screen, there is no need. The housewash mix will go through the screen, wash the window and trim, and clean the bug debris - which they can vacuum out. Since most people never open their windows, they wouldn't even notice the debris.

If your mix has bleach in it and the screen frames are bare aluminum be careful. Caustics on those frames can sometimes react and leave them looking bad. Wet the frames first and try to keep your mix on the screen as much as possible.

We actually suggest they take them down and tell them we'll hand wash them.Soapy bucket and a soft car brush. Customers seem to like the added touch and it only takes a few minutes. It does help in getting rid of any debris that may be caught. We tell them we'll stack / lean them and they reinstall them.