Sign in to follow this  
jayrock911

Best Clear Wood Sealer in the World

Question

Hello,

I'm looking for the best clear wood sealer one could ever find. I want it to last 5 years or more and don't really care if it is penetrating or not. It cannot fade from the sun and it needs to work well on wood tux stains.

Anyone with the ultimate answer please?

Jason

3 answers to this question

Umm are you using this over wood tux or other stains? Clear sealers will never get 5 years. If you have wood tux on already, there is no reason to use a clear sealer over it.

Are you a contractor or homeowner?

What you are asking for does not exist. Pigmentation is the only thing (that I know of) that can provide UV protection and prevent graying.

I think you are referring to some type of seal you can put over what you are calling stain. Exterior wood products (most of them) are actually tinted sealers. If you were to apply anything over Wood Tux you would be creating a film which will peel and leave you with a maintenance nightmare.

Now, to answer your question as you asked it.. the best combination you can do with wood would be to apply a high pigmentation parafinic oil and then apply Wood Tux (which you can get in clear) Call Russell at Extremem Solutions. He will set you up with both products.

Maybe check out them silicate impregnating products or better yet do some heavy research on long and short oils and how they relate to the boating industry. Although I don't know how long they last, I'de about bet that the old time methods of gloss on stain surely hasn't been beat yet. There is a very good website on wood oil definitions and uses but I've lost it recently..sorry.

Here is my further opinions:

Most exterior wood care rely on stain pigments (from the ground) to do the protecting of the wood from the UV which you already have under control with a stain. Now you need a flexible oil (as I elude to above) that is compatable with it. If you try and go modern hard coat with UV protections (some catalyzed urathanes or epoxies are) built in you will still likely experience too early a coating failure due to moisture escape issues within the wood in an exterior situation. Such coatings are meant for hard surfaces like cars and concrete. So shy away..

What ever you do you need to be aware that when it fails and starts chipping off it will likely need to be stripped in total as the underlying wood will have shown some level of unsightly grey wood or even white areas from trapped moisture. This effect has been seen by most folks that bought cheap outdoor furniture done in lacquer or conversion varnish meant for interior wood. First it starts off as small grey spots where the finish chips and then it starts splintering off. After awhile you just end up with dead dry ugly wood again if the coating was thin. If the coating is heavy it will be a nightmare to look at for years and years until redone. You won't be able to just recoat it with clear again. Solid primer and paint would then be only option if you were to not strip.

I say don't even think further on trying to speculate on anything bonding properly with the wood tux. Too dangerous of a game..