Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

Behr's 10 year warranty

Question

I'm just putting this out there for your thought on this. I run into a guy today that insisted I put behr's solid color stain on his deck. It did not matter what I told him about behr and the actual cases I have run into with it. It also made no difference what I told him about the good results I have had with other poducts.

All that was important to him was that behr claimed they had a ten year warranty and his mind was closed to anything else.

Have any of you run into someone that has been so influenced by the cliams of these warranties that they could not hear a word you were saying? Just courious as to what y'all may have told him.

10 answers to this question

I would have showed him this pic and have him tell me if Behr was any good after 2 yrs? I have plenty pics to back up my thoughts bout Behr! I would be very closed mined myself as i turn around and drive out the deiveway.

behrcan2vf3.jpg

We charge more for "their" stain & we get a disclaimer and offer NO warranty.

Interesting...I usually just walk away. I guess if the money were right, and they knew what they were getting into...

You would think they would reconsider as they're signing something that says that their stain is junk.

Interesting...I usually just walk away. I guess if the money were right, and they knew what they were getting into...

You would think they would reconsider as they're signing something that says that their stain is junk.

That is usually what we're doing while we're charging more, disclaiming and not warrantying :) That has resulted in our doing more decks "our" way - I mean, geez, they called us as pros.

I just came from an estimate with the defective behr. It was over applied and the deck looked almost black. After explaining about the law suit and why i had to strip the failing finish I asked her what type of look did she expect on the deck , she says ' I LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS NOW'! You just never know. actually that 2 year old behr doesnt look too bad, although i hate their stain. although their solid isnt too bad i think thats is what has the 10 year warranty. flood solid has a 15 year warranty and needs no primer. frank

I bet that deck above would satisfy many folks expectations on fade. I really don't expect to see anything better after 2 years. Maybe my monitor is no good or I got sandman still in my eyes...almost looks like a first coat of a two coat type product? Ok that is exagerating...lol

Behr's brochure planely shows on each page (with a little logo) how long each product can "last up to". It gives both an amount for verticles and then the horizontals. I think the verbage used is not an actual warranty persay.

The 10 yr. is for the solid House and Fence Stain (orange label).

The Deck Plus (semi) shown above is 3 yr. decks/ 5 yr. fence and siding and even their own picture is extremely blotchy looking for a professional sales photo.

I would like to know if any of their products are removal friendly, lasts as marketed without early fading, and mainly which are user friendly to apply without lap marks.. Hence which might be similar to other brands feeder type parafinnic oils if any. The Premium Clear Weatherproofing wood sealer & finish says silicone enhanced and so that wouldn't fit the bill. (got to underline to tel the difference between them..geez!)

Anybody have experience with these:

Clear Waterproofing Wood finish- 2 yr./4 yr.(water cleanup so must be a modified alkyd), Liquid Rawhide (semi solid) -4 yr./7 yr., or the Water Proofing wood protector- (1yr/2yr)

If these don't lap mark and but come off easily they may fit somebodies idea of a maintenance program..just a thought..2 of them are applicable in damp conditions. The Rawhide actually sounds good to me..

p.s... although I like their huge color chart as a reference, I doubt anyone actually ever ends up with what they expected unless a pro does some fancy testing and mixing. They should go ahead and disclaim exactly that in a much larger type than the disclaimer they currently got down bottom of the chart.

It is really bothersome to me that the big box stores push the idea that it is so easy like "Here this is the color you won't, have fun" !!