Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

I must be doing something right.

Question

Hello all,

I've only been in business about 1 1/2 years now, but I feel that I have very well educated myself. I have read countless posts, gotten certified in wood restoration by the pwna, and have saturated my mind with knowledge. I have two main competitors that have been in business for many years now.

I recently bid a large deck that both of them had bid as well. The homeowner told me that my price was double that of the other two. I calmly explained to him why; that we completely strip off the old sealer (I guess the other two weren't going to do that), use contractor-grade products, set up maintenance schedules, and care more about quality than quantity. I guess I must have said something right because I got a call from him this morning telling me that I won the contract.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to stick to your prices, if you know what you are talking about, use better products and produce fantastic results, then you are worth your weight in gold to these homeowners.

I want to thank everyone for this board, because I would not be where I am today without it.

Thanks again,

3 answers to this question

Stick to your guns my man..If the work keeps coming in at your prices then it's just a matter of time before you are the only game in town...Great work carries with it lots of references and repeat business....Your competition can't afford to do great work at their prices..They will be on the bread line before you know it and you will be running the show in your area..There is no substitute for quality workmanship, or a satisfied customer....

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Travis, congrats on landing the bid!

Seems like you have a solid business model, most important.

I too, always try to educate my customers. A little education goes a long way in building trust and credibility.

Good-Luck

Ron