Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

cwf uv5

Question

I used the cedar on 2 decks in the spring and it was too dark for my taste but the customers picked the color. I just did one with the honey gold cwf uv5 and even my own deck. I'll try and post a picture If I can get my camera working. It looks great. The color looks very even for a water based stain and the coverage is very good per gallon. It is a thick stain . Anyone else use this product? I will add the honey gold[looks more like oak to these eyes] to my choices but not the cedar. I find the olympic cedar to be less red than the cwf. Just my 2 cents.

17 answers to this question

Let us know how it performs in a couple of years. The reason I ask is that the old CWF/UV used to color shift as it aged and could not be matched when performing maintenance coats if any had worn off, faded away from exposure etc. For this reason alone we do not use it. We are hopeful that the newer version will not have the same problems and provide better maintainability without the need to strip it every time.

Rod!~

Jeff, This be one of the taboo products people love to hate. Think people base their whole business around the need to fix HO jobs done with Baer and CWF... supposedly it aint all that user friendly to remove neither which spurs on the metaphorical war :)

time will tell indeed! this is a new formula than the old cwf that was crap. that stuff faded in 3 months. This is my experimental year to try several products. The new stuff has held up so far on my deck this year from the dogs and heavy foot traffic. I just came in from powerwashing the grill and rinced the deck off and it looks great but 2 months is no test.

The uv5 out performs the old by far. Stripped two decks used uv5 redwood

two years ago and except for the planter spots, looks like the day I used it. (Incredible) However I used uv5 base on my one of my decks and it held better than the old stuff. Not as good as the redwood. Mine needs done this year. His is going strong. They told me base was cedar tone, but i bet there most be some color close to cedar tone. As color is suppose to be UV.

The uv5 out performs the old by far. Stripped two decks used uv5 redwood

two years ago and except for the planter spots, looks like the day I used it. (Incredible) However I used uv5 base on my one of my decks and it held better than the old stuff. Not as good as the redwood. Mine needs done this year. His is going strong. They told me base was cedar tone, but i bet there most be some color close to cedar tone. As color is suppose to be UV.

Why did you have to strip it?

Rod!~

Jeffex11,

We tested CWF-UV5 for Flood. It is a very nice product, easy to use and dries nice. Try it often, you may like it. We are ready to stain a 200+ foot 2/sides fence and deck this week. I'll try to post picts if I can. Thank You.

I was impressed with the eveness of the finish and the coverage per gal.

Ok, did I mis-understand you in that you did not strip it but something else to install cwf in it's place?

Rod!~

I always strip off the old stain unless a customer is looking for regular maintenance[yearly] then you can clean without stripping and top coat with the same product. If I recall , I only have one or two customers who want this type of service. The one that sticks out the most is a lady whose deck is WAY up in the air and I priced her restoration accordingly. 2 stories up with a drop off back yard. I then sold her on the idea of just getting the floor and top rail done the next time to save some money. I realy just didn't want to do that high wire act again any time soon. She went for that the next two times but is due for a complete strip and stain for the entire deck again. I may rent a cherry picker this time !!! I would love to have a atv towed aerial platform to use for cleaning and staining as well as houses!!! I'm getting too old to do the high wire acts on ladders and roofs. I looked at a trailer mounted genie lift but it was $30,000 . I have even considered a pump jack system like used by siding contractors. I drew some designs for platforms that could hang off the deck and give you a movable walk board for stepping over the railings and easily washing and staining . You would have to use a hand held gun with no extension as your opperating fairly close to the deck. Maybe its already out there but I will need something like this in the furture to keep up with the physical demand of this type work

matte finish. If you over apply if builds up and layers on top. I padded my own deck because my railings are solid stain and I noticed some filming under the railings where it puddled up. I just used some stripper to thin it back to the matte finish. I am impressed with the uniformness of the finish when sprayed for a soap and water cleanup product.

Rod I stripped the years of Behr off it b-4 I sealed it... Just a note - This was before I knew about oxalic. So I only stripped with sodiumhydroxide. Saw the owner the oter day and he wanted to know if he need to seal again? But the deck still looks great.

6 month up date on cwf uv 5. I'm beginning to see some leaching of color on the floor of the deck. Not much but the first hint of it. I'm basing this on my own deck and one of my regular lawn customers I 'm able to see close up . My deck gets heavy usage w/ partial sun and the lawn customer heavy direct sun but little use. The olympic max 3yr seems to be the better of the two products I took for a test drive this year. The olympic shows no signs of fading or leaching out so far. I'm estimating this to be a 2yr product .