Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

fence

Question

finally something on internet i can get excited about. what a great site. when i decided to get into this bussiness i called a couple of locals to ask a few q's, none were receptive. anyway i got a 3500psi 4gpm coming in a few days, gona start with my fence. i need to strip old stain and apply new. if i use a roller, what size? how should i aplly stain to the rails and around steel posts with a brush? what about the top of the pickets? fence is yellow pine, one side is smoothe and other rough. thanks ronnie

34 answers to this question

"Since it is your fence, no." ...GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR, Beth!

Penetrating oil type semi stains can be applied above freezing but will not dry as fast at temperatures below 40 degrees F.

Water based and oil based solids are more at risk for failure if not allowed to fully dry and cure with temperatures above 40-50 degrees F (depending on brand).

Remember you can always push the envelope, but should accept the risk of potential early failure.

In any case, it's always best to use good products and to follow labelling on product for long lasting finish.

I use pump-up sprayer and sometimes use a surflow set-up that I designed. A disadvantage to a pump-up is that it takes so much longer and you use a lot more sealant. The last 3 or 4 decks that I did - I brushed and rolled - Used half the amount of sealant as normal. Takes longer -- its the old "Labor Cost vs Chemical Cost".

I plan to start using air to apply my stain to log homes, but not decks.

As of putting two decks side by side - one stain with a air and one stain with a pump sprayer. If you use the same chemicals and same sealant (being craftmanship is the same) - I don't see how you can tell. Is there a different look to a deck sealed with a air vs pump sprayer? I wouldn't think so?

The sealant that I use - Is dummy proof and I love it. Back brushing is a word that I never use.

An airless sprayer will atomize the sealer more than a pump-up. Fine droplets vs Medium Droplets. It would stand to reason that the finer droplets will dry faster therefore penetrating less.

Beth,

I like humor and laughter - couldn't live without it!

Glad you are getting back to your norm.

Tim,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Back brushing is a word that I never use."

Do you mean: You never say it, but you do it. ???

or

Do you mean: You always apply the exact amount necessary and never more. ???

We almost always use pump up sprayers when doing simple jobs that we don't have to worry about product being blown around.

The best way to clean up a chemical over spraying is to not have it happen in the first place.

We use cardboard or one of the spray sheilds on a stick that we can slide along the edge of the deck next to siding. Then we almost always back brush everything into the wood. No matter what product we use we want to make sure it penetrates. My favorite sprayer is a back pack model I got from northern tool. It holds 4 gallons of sealer and it's handle is right at your left side so you can pump, walk and spray at the same time. I works great on fences and large areas. I also made a flag like tarp in the shape of a T. This can be held on the other side of the railing or fence so it wont spray anything else. We usually start a small spinning sprinkler under the deck to prevent the sealer from hurting the grass and wet down any surface nearby just in case. No matter what you spray with the sealer is still going to be in the air.

Be expecially careful of any concete or brickwork under the deck. It will drip between the boards.

It's best to protect yourself and anything nearby so take your time setting up and always rinse down anything around the deck once your done.