Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Best stain for Cedar

Question

Since I'm blowing Yaz's horn with redwood, might as well post a few of a cedar job we finished last week.

13 yr. old clear western red cedar deck with two coats of some worthless clear stain. Covered in mildew in places and nearly black in others.

cedar-original.jpg

Stripped with ACR 760 sodium hydroxide stripper @ 4 oz./gal. and then brightened with citric acid @ 6 oz./gal. No rinsing of the citric.

cedar-prepped.jpg

Finished with Ready Seal regular oil, medium red, the same color as Yaz's redwood job.

cedar-finished.jpg

10 answers to this question

Kevin,

What ya use to protect house and do ya do that just during staining?

Nothing. An NaOH stripper does no harm to vinyl siding, citric you can lick off, although we do rinse. No need for anything staining, you cut in by brush 18" or so and start spraying with the decker 5'er at about 25 psi.

Ah I see.. didn't see it was vinyl til after I asked mainly about staining.

You talkin about a hand brush or really a pad? I use the cardboard with packing tape along the straight edge and slide along as I walk to cut in.

I need to make some "L"'s though to get where fences attach to houses.

Sweet looking finished product Rick...That deck screams "use me"...It's incredibly warm and inviting...It was a "hot dog and hamburger" deck...Now it's a "wine and cheese deck"....I'm sure you have a repeat customer for life with those results....

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

That's the kind of results that bring referrals too. Looks great.

No homeowner with his crappy machine and Home Cheapo chems and stains could ever hope to achieve such perfection.

Kevin,

Big 6" natural bristle brushes. Tight spots get the 2.5".

Yaz,

You are only saying that 'cause I hosted your pics! Appreciate the comment, this cedar was a bit of work.

Larry,

You are right on the DIY and Home Depot. And especially right on the referrals. That is where we get most of our new business.