Sign in to follow this  
mcmja

Advice on stripping and re-staing cedar deck

Hello, I am new to this forum but it looks amazing...you all are very talented!!! I have a 2 year old cedar deck that we originall stained with Cabot semi transparent New Cedar color. Never really liked it and I belive the contractor that applied it didn't wait long enough for the wood to "weather" a bit and was too wet since the deck 1 year later begain to scratch off. SO we began to power wash off the stain without any chemicals which has come off the deck beautifully but not so well from the square spindles... SO we need to choose something to restain it with...we have stopped stripping the spindles and resigned oursleves that the only option is to stain or paint the spindles...but I would like to have them match or contrast well without painting the spindles white. Any advice? Should we use the Cabot clear solution on the floor and a semi-trans on the spindles? Is there somthing we can use to strip the spindles without destroying the wood the way blasting it was doing? We love the Cabot brand so...WHich is better...clear or semi-transparent...this is a high traffic area and we'd like it to weather better. Thank you for your advice. ALisa and John

Hi Alisa and John,

There are cleaners that will remove the stain from the spindles. You should make it common practice to let landscape friendly cleaners and pH balancing agents do the work for you and use a pressure washer (adjusted via nozzle size for low pressure) as an accelerated rinse.

I would advise you do this to remove any remaining product on your deck floor (I'm guessing there is still pigmentation and/or oil in there) a well as finish the job on the spindles. For a sealer you would be best served by a high quality semi-transparent penetrating oil with some type of toning. A clear sealer will not protect the deck from UV rays and it will turn gray quickly. Cabot's in our region (northeast) is not wonderful. Unfortunately, this holds true of all the oil based sealers available commercially. Tightening VOC regulations have made them a shadow of their former selves. I have heard good things about Olympic Maximum. Some contractors on here swear by it.

Best of luck in your project. Post some before/after pics. We do have a forum on here for homeowners (where I am sure this thread will probably be moved.

--Ken

Surely there will be lots of info forthcoming concerning the ability of professional contractors being able to remove the old stain from the spindles. Am sure also that you'll find such a suitable contractor right here on TGS....

My brief imput on your project is that wood only needs to be below a certain moisture content before your able to apply most oil based products and it is somewhat frowned on these days to let wood 'weather'. Wood begins to exhibit dimensional changes from day one of exterior installation so the quiker it is protected the better. There is no sound reason to allow damage to wood. The original contractor may have well served you fine considering that the wood will take stain better the second or third time around. Now is the time to do it right with a good penetrating type stain is my feeling.

Thank you for your advice. Sorry about the wrong location. I have heard so much hot and cold about Cabots. I will research out olympic maximum....Many thanks

Thank you Beth. You guys are very helpful! I don't know how to move my post to the DIY Homeowners section...I don't want to clog up the professionals area. But I am attempting to strip the railings myself this weekend....so any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am doing a small side area incase I screw it up. I am hoping to purchase the Ready seal... Is there anthing that stands out to you that I should be careful when using this stain? Others I have talked with say that it is very forgiviing. Thank you again.

P.S. DO you know of any contractors on Long Island...incase I get in over my head?

If your deck is not too big I would recommend Cabot problem solver stripper/brightner or wolman brand stripper to get the remaining stain off those railings.

Its costly to use on a large area, but for a one time deck it will save you from having to order a commercial grade stripper. Like others said let the chemical do the work and use the pressure washer to rinse off