Sign in to follow this  
Peak Mobile Wash

Deck Cleaning Chemical

Question

I have a job with a deck that is covered by a large shade tree that drops all sorts of leaves, flowers and pollen on the deck. The stain on the deck is fairly new (HO just moved in, does not know how old) and does not need to be redone. I am looking for a good cleaner that will remove the stains from the tree droppings but not remove the seal from the deck. Any suggestions on how to approach this job?

10 answers to this question

Bleach/soap if its an oil based stain. You could probably get away with a precarb if the sealer is an acrylic and you dont have to worry about accidentally stripping it then. Bleach/soap would be the safest bet

In case some the droppings relate more to pitch/sap....For what it's worth off the Wolman site:

"Pitch stains, or crystallized sap, found mainly around the knots of pressure-treated wood, can be removed with turpentine or simply scraped away. Turpentine will not harm an existing coating. Pitch is a non-water soluble, organic wood extractive material found in species such as Ponderosa, Southern and White Pine."

Since your case may differ somewhat.. just maybe try a mild neutral ph cleaner like a car wash.

What Charlie says should also be correct unless too much is used or other additives are in the mix.

Well, that depends.. I look upon stain as "failing" the day after it is applied and the sun first hits it. The finish is sacrifical so it begins a decline right away. The product choice will determine how rapid that slope is re: fading, oxidation etc and the determination has to be made by the professional doing the cleaning.

How do you handle your maintenance coats then? If even the lightest cleaning takes stain off, should you be wary of applying additional product? I realize this depends a ton on the stain, but Im assuming oil based here (or no risk of flaking, peeling)

I have seen four percent take off half the color from an oil based finish. It depends upon what stage of failure the finish is in.

Yep....and so will a plain percarbonate. I've done it on purpose to test it, on Wood Tux.

Beth :cup: