Sign in to follow this  
Austin Under Pressure

Water Reclaim and Disposal

I have been doing some research into the proper environmental methods to reclaim and discard water. How are you folks doing it currently.

There are 4 cities that I will potentially be serving. All four have different rules. Looks like I will have to put together some more paperwork for each of them.

What do you currently do? Any Filtration Systems on Board? Dam to Sanitary Sewer?

Do any of you that reclaim carry permits to transport and dispose non-hazardous waste?

Many questions..... !

Scott,

I recover my water using a vacuum system, which then uses a sump pump to push it thru my oil water seperator, which filters down to 5 microns, which is suitable for reuse.

I then have a few options. I can recover and reuse, so that by the end of the job, I have used most of the filtered water. I can dump on site in the sanitary sewer, if permitted at the location, or I can haul it away.

In my case, since the water is reuseable, I do not need a haz mat license. That may vary from place to place.

Alan, out of curiosity, if the water did not go through the filter you would need a haz mat cert to transport it, correct? Just because it went through the filter you no longer need the cert, even though the same crap is on your trailer, just in seperate compartments? Is this correct? I am just curious how it works.

Ok, with what you said stated, the critical part is the ability to dispose of the water in a sanitary sewer. I am having issues with the cities I am planning to support and their rules. Apparantly they are weary of me disposing of the water in a sanitary sewer and are wanting some periodic water tests. I am looking at a filtration system which sounds similar to what you have on board. I do not see an issue using that, I just need to prove to the state and the cities that it does what it says. Are you ever asked to have your water tested? Does the city require you to carry a permit?

The first year, I did have a Waste Haulers permit and a Permit to discharge. I never dumped at the City Plant, as it was easier to dump at home and was allowed.

My water is also considered re useable, so that I can haul it without permits and such. After the firstyear, the Director of Public Works said don't bother.

The treatment plants vary by City,, and some have better systems than others. The ones with the older systems, want frequent tests of your water as it can throw their system way off if you dump alot.

Although I can, I have yet to clean a gas station, so my water does not get really dirty, like it would there. However the treatment unit is rated for it. I plan to add a few items to it to improve the water quality, just been putting it off.

I also have a chlorine floater in my reuse tank, to freshen it up a little.

These Cities really have no clue as to what you are going to produce in your wash process and that is why they want to perform tests, but that is normal, so expect to hear that often.

post-12-13777213797_thumb.jpg

This is a classic example of how every city, county and state interprets the clean water act.

They are all correct and wrong, if they took the time to check out what concerns them they would find all your reclaimed water should be safe for sewers UNLESS you have some extremely harsh chemicals in it.

Like Alan I reclaim and reuse my water, some call it a closed system or closed loop since I put it down, pick it up, clean it and put it back down, over and over.

Yes I have to add water as you have a certain percentage that evaporates and stays on the ground, say I start with 100 gallons, after an hour I might need to add 15 or 20 gallons back in.

Alan and I have the same reclaim system except mine is one size larger and I use a Vacuboom system for picking it up at this time.

In time I will have a Fury tool and vacuum like Alan has.

No permits here and have talked with water/sanitary district, it is ok to dump in sewer. They asked what I would have in the water, told them what I do and was told dump IT.

Chlorine floater Alan? to do what, clean the water to make it look cleaner then it is? Does it really work when you’re running 135 plus gallons continuously?

Trailer before I reconfigured it a little for the new vacuum. The black box at the back is the oil water recycle unit, and cleans the water down to 5 microns. Not drinking quality, as many have asked, but just fine for washing, and then a fresh rinse.

Scroll up and you can see the front view of the recycle unit. On the front of the trailer, where you see the soap rack, I now have my waste tank for the vacuum. It has a sump pump inside, that pushes the water to the recycler which then has another sump pump, to push it thru the blue polishing filters, and then to the rear tank of the trailer.

I have both tanks plumbed to the pump, and can draw off either one, or both using ball valves.

post-12-137772137975_thumb.jpg

There for looks only!

He has a generator hidden on that trailer someplace, have seen it before, think it is on the backside.

Rick G. super idea, we need to pick a name and organize it.

Scott do I recall you having white also on one of your trailers? or was the chrome just dirty?

Originally posted by Dave Thomas

Alan, that is one SWEET rig! How do you power those lights? Nice touch!:cool:

Thanks Dave, I have a 120 volt skid and use the generator from that for the lights/burner.

I also have a larger generator that I use, but not for the lights.

Jon,

That was last year, The generator has been playing musical chairs and has moved. In the truck for now.