Sign in to follow this  
superclean

pressure problem

I have a 18hp kohler with a general pump and I am only getting about half the pressure I should be. I pressure tested it and I am only at about 1300psi. It should be around 3000. I swaped unloaders with one that I know works. Also, checked the filter which is off of a tank. I did notice when I pull the trigger some of the water is still bypassing back into the tank. That is why I replaced the unloader. Anyways I guess it has to be something in the pump. I have never taken a pump apart so I really don't know where to start. The pump is a general 3500 by 5.6 I think it is model #ts2021. Any help is appreciated.

Although some types of unloader bypass more than others it is considered fine to bypass water. Sounds like your issue relates to debri in your check valves on your pump. They are under them 6 big hex nuts..metal shavings, etc, is probably in one or more of them..

Well proper adjustment of the new unloader could be worth a recheck. Other problem that may or may not be obvious is that of running on only one cylinder on your Kohler...rpm or engine speed may seem proper but half horsepower is gone...happened on a Briggs of mine. Unplug spark plugs one at a time to make sure that is not problem.

Have you tired a new nozzle?

Is the engine running fine? If so then it may be a pump problem, and my first place is a "pump head" check.

Using a short hose, I plug right into the high pressure outlet of the pump. That means no unloader, pressure switch, or any other item.

Make a gun an open gun with a zip tie to prevent any chance of it closing. Use a new nozzle and start the engine while holding on real tight. If you have normal pressure, then the pump is fine. If the problem is still there, then you need packings.

Engine is good

Unloader is good

Pulled the pump head and did not see any obvious problems. Would you be able to see if the packing is bad or is it to hard to tell? I think I am going to just replace the packing and see.

Better to be a trouble shooter than a parts changer. Unless you know what you are looking for, then you may not see any damage or wear on the packings. It could be just an O-ring in the head also.

Their is no sense in changing something that may not need it.

Also, could you go to the user cp in the left hand corner and update your signature info please.

Unplug each spark plug wire with protected plyers while running under load..should hear a difference with each.

Hook up a direct water supply off tap...could have blockage.

Then do Alan's 'pump head' check.

Maybe take each check valve out and tap them in and out to see how they respond and that they seat.

Look at each O ring to see if torn..they are real thin.

Well apparently you have dual threads and already got 2800k at wand and 4k pressure at the unloader...not sure why you say above that you only got 1300...so but anyways, you got wrong tips and/or unloader...good luck there..

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/11218-raising-pressure.html

Well apparently you have dual threads and already got 2800k at wand and 4k pressure at the unloader...not sure why you say above that you only got 1300...so but anyways, you got wrong tips and/or unloader...good luck there..

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/11218-raising-pressure.html

I have two identicle washers.

Figured it out last night. I knew something was odd because when I pulled the trigger it was still bypassing a little water into the tank whereas my other washer doesn't. Also when pulling the trigger several times I was getting different pressure readings ranging from 800-2000psi. But the lines were not pulsating so I didn't think it was starving for water or have a clog in the lines. But I ran the problem down to a bad or clogged chemical injector.