Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Could have done better

Question

8 answers to this question

With me its, I always think I should have watered the plants more. I water them before, during and after my house/roof wash but am always thinking about it as i leave and wondering if the plants are going to be ok. I have never gotten a call back from a customer saying that their plants are dying and I have also driven past homes that had alot of plants around the house that I have washed previously and haven't had a plant die yet, but I still worry after every job for about a couple of weeks afterwards.

No I never question myself and my work. I'm perfect! LOL

I used to question things a lot more, but with more experience over time I question myself less & less. With my workers, I beat it into them about quality almost daily and i still check a majority of their work daily. Once you dont worry about things is when something will happen

Life probably too short to stress over second guessing. Done it too much myself..When the customer is the end thing to please theres no telling. Hey if they reviewed yer work and think it good then believe them.

Have lost numerous accounts over the years and thought I knew reasons why and but then out the blue sometimes it comes through grapevine the real reasons why or I get a call back from a client I was sure would never call back by the way they portrayed themselves.. business is crazy, people are even crazier..

How many of you, even though the customer is happy with your work, drive away from a completed job thinking to yourself, "I could have done (this or that) better"?

Great question. I have done that several times. Every time I get this horrible guilty feeling. So I've learned that when I get this feeling while I'm doing the job I will take the time to do it right no matter what. Whether it's that one little spot at the peak of a dormer or scrubbing a hard to reach gutter a little more. I try to not think it's taking me too long or that I'm being anal but rather that I am helping my clients and they are well worth the extra mile. I have the above and beyond attitude and have started giving people MORE than expected and WOWing them, it leads to more referrals and repeat work for sure.

I'm always my worst critic. I see flaws in my works when the customer is gushing over how nice it looks. I have learned to just let it go though. There is no such thing as perfection.

Pete, I believe after so many years, we do the best and that's it. I know your feeling, not quite sure or maybe we could have done something better. This leaves you with an empty stomach. Best to get over it and go on down the road. Do your best and go away feeling good. If they call you back, fix it and make everyone happy. My 2 cents. Thank You.

I always have that feeling when someone can't pony up for the whole service.

A 15 yo deck for example that is badly splintering, cracking and warping and they only want the wash and seal and mostly a clear to keep it as inexpensive as possible. I know what the deck could look like if they had taken care of it all along, but to not do anything but the minimal service and complain it doesn't look like brand new is what gets me.

I have fine tuned our services to offer the best detailed product available, including expanding our services to giving a thorough rinse on the underside of raised decks to go the extra mile leaving the area cleaner than it was before we arrived.

I want them to be happy with what they bought and we strive to give the best in our service for what they are paying for. The best way I can put it is this: A number jobs do not go into our gallery because "the works" wasn't in their budget.

In the beginning, I used to go away with the feeling I could have done something else or something better but as your knowledge grows, so does your product quality. The only thing left is if something was forgotten and that really nags at me so I become a bit anal in that respect looking things over numerous times before I am satisfied that the job is complete per the contract.

I am lazy and don't like getting sent back to do something again...so I endeavor to get it right the first time. Does my temperament a bit of good there. :taz:

Rod!~