Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

lousy deck finish

Question

How do you tell a customer that you shouldnt have used a stain of your own choice that has become a problem.

Did a deck with SpaNDeck about 1 and ahalf years ago. Followed the procedures exactly. (clean, bleach, apply first coat to wet wood.) with in 1 year there was flaking and pealing. cleaned, stripped where it was flaking and reaplied. Did I meantion how hard it is to blend in where the pealing was?

Now, less tan 2 years. there is severe mildew growing under the stain in spots, on top in other spots, and flaking and pealing again.

This deck has no airflow underneath, Which I know now is a leading indicator that I shouldnt use an acrylic.

Other than that it is in full, (100%) sun.

The response i Got from Flood is pretty much boilerplate. Strip, with Stripper/Cleaner, (We all know how easy it is to strip Acrylic,) and recoat.

So here's the problem. How do you tell the customer that you stopped using that sealer, shouldnt have used it in the first place, and now you need to strip it off and start from scratch?

post-4622-137772183351_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772183358_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

Acrylics suck. On the bright side.. the color held up well.

Strip it and start again. Charge the customer whatever your normal maintenance rate is for a clean and recoat. It would be do anyway, right? Or did you guarantee it for two years?