Sign in to follow this  
tigerzak

New Pressure Treated Wood

Question

I have a new deck to stain. The deck was installed about 3 weeks ago. I have 2 questions.

1) How long should I wait before I seal the deck?

2) Do I need to strip the deck first to remove any oils or wax that may be on the wood from the factory?

Thanks in advance for the help.

57 answers to this question

The funny thing is I'll talk to somebody with 10 years service that can't use or wil try bleach? Because of the woodcare Alarmist! Then they see the work of the BDA and say Ma Ma Me Ya..........!

This year I solved one of the bigest problems in woodcare. All type's of top level's of wood pro's were involed. A deck sealing company, A sealer maker, the forestry, then I got called. Me solved it !! Pretty funny lissening to all the jargen here. What was the answer? BLEACH......................YAH !! You can do anything you want but don't step on my BleAcheD SWadE ShoeS.......

Well... what was the problem you solved?

btw elvis just turned over in his grave Jim. :lol:

Rod!~

One will find many contradictions in the uses of bleach. Agreement on many camps has been for one reason over another and while there is validity in each, there is also some concern of the long term effects on wood. Down Jimmy boy.

I got Wood tux and I'm not afraid to use it! Color up those bleach suede shoes for ya I will!!!

I am not going to tell anyone not to use bleach on wood anymore. I have found my uses for it but they are according to suitability as with any chemical available for wood restoration.

Rod!~

For someone who has been doing it as many years as you have it may be simple, but to others who are just getting started perhaps the fact that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and more if beneficial is what I think you are trying to say.

For those who are trying to make sense of it all, the premise is this; learn about the reasons for each chemicals uses and the limitations/potentials and drawbacks of each. Learn about inter-chemical reactions and the hazards they can create by mixing the wrong ones.

Understanding these helps one to make better use of the chemicals and also to understand when one becomes over kill.

Rod!~

I'd like to suggest or request that someone with more experience than me, post a quick list or reference to a beginners guide for the reasons of use, as james says the must have BIG 5. I've gotten very familiar with that search button over the past 9 months & sometimes frustrated that what i was looking for didn't turn up. (or it took 5 page searches for 1 answer) Most of the searches define the chem, but lack the nuts & bolts of the when & why....

I'm not advocating the exclusive use of S-Hyp. (or anything else for that matter) as most of us have used it at one time or another, but more for the rookies, including myself, as to the basic uses of each (5) & also (probably MORE important) a cautionary guide as to what NOT to mix, etc.... I'm now pretty familiar with reading labels & decipherin' what's in there....we all should knowthe basics, bleach+amonia= BAD, but perhaps a bit more from what we've learned & sometimes you chemmies get too deep for my management minded brain.

I know one of the best references I have that helps HO's understand what we do to a particular deck was the list of ph levels of various chem's/foods,etc.... It is in my reference book & has been very helpful explaining to HO that when we/I use this product up here, you must one of these products down there to bring it to the 7.0 neutral point....It is very visual, simple to understand & lends credibility to you & this profession... if you can't find it, i'll be happy to e-mail anyone a copy of it....

I'd like to sincerely thank the person(s) that took time to make it available.... I just feel that any "tool" that can help us progress in our search (or just make it easier) would be asset for those who, like me, have thought please tell me more..... or if anyone knows if a 1 page-down-&-dirty page of the woodies BIG 5 testament exists, please let me know. I sure know of a guy that could have used it, but I think he may be done.....

thanks....

David,

Please email me that ph reference material..

Maybe post it up in the following thread or it's own dedicated thread if it's ok to do so:

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/chemicals-safety/10206-ph-levels-common-chemicals-products.html

Kevin, that's the exact form I was referring to.... THANK YOU !!!!! I found it about 4-5 months ago & didn't realize how powerful it could be to a HO. It's just another part of the dog & pony show presentation I use to inform/educate my customers.

Hey guys.....If you don't have a copy of this, you should. I think I need to crank up the laminator.

thanks again....

I made that one posted..

I just consolidated info's found around the net as well as a few similar charts into the format I thought best.

Disclaimer: It may be inacurrate and incomplete. :)

ps- I'd like to get some more on there like phosphoric acid or maybe a few popular branded chems on the bbs, or maybe a collumn about safe practice.