Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Underside of deck

Question

I have a large two story deck coming up where the homeowner wanted the understructure of the second story stained. Ive never done the understructure and explained to the homeowner that the cost would be much higher.

He sits on the lower deck often and still wanted the underside done to look nice. I charged 200 percent more, but now I need to know if there is any tricks to doing this

Do I clean the top deck first, then the underside of the top deck? Do I clean the underside and then the top deck? Seems like either way Im going to have dirt and such coming either up to the top deck or back down onto the joists.

Same thing for staining. Do I spray bottom first and risk it coming through to the top? Or do i stain the surface first and then deal with all the runs on the joists that will inevitably be darker when the understructure is stained?

3 answers to this question

Do I clean the top deck first, then the underside of the top deck? Do I clean the underside and then the top deck? Seems like either way Im going to have dirt and such coming either up to the top deck or back down onto the joists.

Same thing for staining. Do I spray bottom first and risk it coming through to the top? Or do i stain the surface first and then deal with all the runs on the joists that will inevitably be darker when the understructure is stained?

Yes clean and stain the underside first the chems and stain will make drip marks.You might have to rinse the underside last but that's minor compared to blending in drip marks.

Well can you staple plastic to mask off the house? You either attach to the house or the bottom of the deck. That's all you have to worry about and protecting plants etc.

where the pics?