Sign in to follow this  
dpaull

Got Pets?

Question

Just wondering if anyone else has any dogs or pets. I just picked up a Boxer who is 4 years old today from a family that just had a baby and couldn't keep him anymore. I ended up driving about 3 hours to get him, but it was worth it...I had a Great Dane for 8 years but he had a problem with his intestines and died.

Anyway, here's my new dog...4 years old, his name is Ares (like the greek god)...

ares1.jpg

ares2.jpg

Feel free to post your pets up.

30 answers to this question

You serious? For the most part, boxers are fearless...that's their strong point but also their weak point.

And I was just "heckling" you a bit. I love weimaraners. Very intelligent dogs. A customer of mine has one, I was just there yesterday as a matter of fact. Very well-behaved. I personally just like the short-snout dogs a little better.

I knew you were just heckling, my dander wasn't up, just love to talk dogs.:)

And trust me on this, having a dog in the house that can sniff out a quail hiding a couple of hundred yards away isn't always so great! Especially if you like to do any eating, or handling of food!

The inspection I get any time I so much as walk past another dog is almost enough to embarrass a fella!

Heckle away man, we can take it!:lgwave:

You serious? For the most part, boxers are fearless...that's their strong point but also their weak point.

And I was just "heckling" you a bit. I love weimaraners. Very intelligent dogs. A customer of mine has one, I was just there yesterday as a matter of fact. Very well-behaved. I personally just like the short-snout dogs a little better.

Muhahaha

I was just trying to get ya worked up. I love all dogs, but I just prefer a dog that will knock a car out of the way to get what he wants, or screens, or doors, or windows, or man dogs can cost money.

I figured since you weren't in the lowballer yell fest we needed something to argue about.

Now your dog is not an outside dog and does not like harsh cold or hot weather. So where does he hunt from? The animal planet on TV?

If they are so feerless why do the ones behind me get scared of the squirrels and chased by the possum? If they could get up the tree like a cat I think they would hide in the branches.

lol I have no idea. I know mine is fearless. He used to be a fighting dog, but was rescued. So he has some scars but other than that, he's great. I use positive reinforcement training methods to teach him only...Mine got away at the park one day chasing a deer...He tried to hump a German Shepherd ... he's a beast.

lol I have no idea. I know mine is fearless. He used to be a fighting dog, but was rescued. So he has some scars but other than that, he's great. I use positive reinforcement training methods to teach him only...Mine got away at the park one day chasing a deer...He tried to hump a German Shepherd ... he's a beast.

I love dog rescuers!

As far as training goes, my older dog is 12 and has received two hits his whole life. Both times were the faults of the hitter, and one of those got his dental plan activated soon after.

Dogs only learn to distrust your hand when you hit them. Congratulations for using modern methodology in training, plenty of otherwise reasonable people absolutely don't understand the basics of training.

The best things to remember are that:

1. The dog doesn't speak english.

2. The dog wants to please you.

3. Negative reinforcement means witholding praise. not punishing.

4. DO NOT reinforce behavior you do not wish to see repeated.

5. Losing your temper doesn't help.

Dogs know their place if you make their place clear. Treat them as if they are a toddler (in mind) that you dearly love. They will do anythiing for you. Even that lousy *******, Adolph Hitler, had a dog that loved him. Your dog loves you.

We went to see "Underdog" with the kids...when we came home, this is what my 9 year old did to our 2 year old Beagle/Lab rescue mutt!

post-1695-137772186079_thumb.jpg