Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

15 HP Kohler won't start

This unit has been setting for about 3 weeks. When I started it at the job for the first time, it would only run with the choke on. While messing with the choke, I realized that I had not attached a gun to the pressure hose, so I turned the machine off. It was running for about 20 seconds. When I attempted to start it (pull start), it wouldn't start. The plug looks OK. I pulled the air filter housing off to make sure the choke/throttle linkage was OK. When I pull the air filter, it had a small amount of motor oil on it, and it looked like motor oil may have been in the carb. Any thoughts?

If your fuel supply has no cut off valve you may have to much fuel in the carb... Also make sure you have no pressure in your hose while cranking hold the trigger down......

I've tried it with no hose attached at all, and still nothing. It saddens me to see a small squirt of water each time I pull the rope. I'm gonna change the plug and fuel/air filters tommorrow and see if that helps.

When I started it at the job for the first time, it would only run with the choke on.

If it does that all the time then the carb is showing as out of whack in adjustment/mixture. This can be caused by a few things so start with a spay in carb cleaning first without adjusting anything.

Float adjust and mixture adjust is likely off though and/or jet may not be seated therefore allowing gas to seap through. This changes the overall mixture your trying to run on. Either the float being off or the jet being clogged or unseated will never allow you to run properly. After the issue is solved then you can try to adjust mixture to start cold on choke and run warm with it off. Small engines can be real fickle this way and sometimes best to just slap on a new one if you've no rebuild skill.

I tried a new plug today, with no success. I pulled the rope with the plug out of the head, but stuck in the plug boot. It appeared that the spark was pretty weak. I'll take a look at the coil. What is a symptom of a bad head gasket?

I have decided to replace the engine. This deal was just too good to pass up.

Small Engine Warehouse: CH15T-44535 - Kohler Engine 15 HP Command OHV Horizontal 1 x3 5 Keyed Shaft Recoil Start Muffler Fuel Tank

I'll just wait till the off season and work on the old one and make a back up machine out of it.

If possible get the command pro engine...Its a whole lot better engine

If possible get the command pro engine...Its a whole lot better engine

Although the hyperlink doesn't state it, this is a Command Pro. It has the exact same spec no. that my current engine has. Just out of curiosity, how many hours is everyone getting out of their small engines?

I tried a new plug today, with no success. I pulled the rope with the plug out of the head, but stuck in the plug boot. It appeared that the spark was pretty weak. I'll take a look at the coil. What is a symptom of a bad head gasket?

You said it runs on choke so plugs and coil not issue. If anything, a gas or oil soaked plug will not want to run but yours does so the electric is likely fine if not plenty. Sign of bad head gasket is hard starting and high emissions due to low compression.

You may very well have both misadjusted carb and a blown head gasket at same time and when combined they really present you with a rough time.

Can understand the desire for new engine and a backup but next time just take it in to a small engine shop and they should be able to fix for under a c note.

Almost sounds like crud in the main jet. You need to drop the bowl off the carb and clean it out. You may have to remove the main jet to clean it.

The Kohler CH15 has a fixed jet...no adjustment is possible except for idle mixture, which doesn't come in to play at WOT (wide open throttle).

You said it runs on choke so plugs and coil not issue.

After turning it off when it only ran choked, it never started back. That's why I thought it may something other than carb. I guess I'll pull the bowl off and see what's going on in there. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Can understand the desire for new engine and a backup but next time just take it in to a small engine shop and they should be able to fix for under a c note.

Your right, I would normally take it somewhere for repair, but I figured that I would never find such a great deal on a new engine, so I went ahead and bought at new one.

Russ,

What these mixture adjust screws run best at usually on thesde engines? 1.5 to 2.5 turns out from all way in?

Chris,

If yer brave you can give the little brass tab on the float an ever so slight tweak so it closes gas off a tad sooner. Normally float should close needle off at float being exactly level and so if you do bend tab the float will sit a little lower..just a hair of an angle should be seen. If you take it off there should be no gas inside when ya shake it.

As far as jet goes..if you mess with it you have to use a properly fitted screw driver as the brass can easily be damged. No need to take it out really. just shoot cleaner up through it and make sure it is seated.

After you check float and jet then put the misture adjust at what ever Russ comes back with on turns out...

Gosh, always nice to have NEW, but like Kevin says, your symptoms are just crud in the carburetor.

If you already bought the new one I'd still clean out the bowl and passages.

Spares are a good thing!

r