Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

removing caulk

Question

Im in the process of removing the solid water based stain from this gazebo. Every joint and crack has been caulked with a silicone caulk. the stain is not coming off the caulk even with some paint stripper and scrubbing.

I cant scrape it off, nor can I scrape the caulk out. Short of taking a razor blade and cutting it out, does anyone have any ideas?

Ive tried sanding also, in fact Im absolutely exhausted from sanding the stain for the last 2 days from where the stripper didnt touch it (3 strips). Sanding over your head isnt fun, believe me.

post-4622-137772185162_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Could you recaulk a light film to cover? I rehabbed a house last winter and got very good at caulking so it would take me about an hour. Could be a job add-on if if sold them on the idea that re-caulking it would make it look better and keep everything tight. BTW how did you get away with stripping over a water source without polluting?

I thought of just going over it, but should I do it before applying the sealer or after? Im going to use a semi trans since there are spots that the old stuff just wont come off (cracks, crevices, nail holes, etc...)

That may sufice for the caulked areas also, but Id like to hear from some others about this.

the only way I have ever been able to remove caulking is to take a razor blade to both up and below the caulking line and scrape it out, should be able to pull it out like a long string, good luck and charge accordingly

ps also an old wallpaper trick is to unplug the end of the caulking tube and empty the contents, tint and mix to the color you are using. replace back into caulking tube replace plug. obviously if using latex stain use latex caulk and oil stain use oil based caulk.