Sign in to follow this  
quickestimate

What's wrong with this guy ? ....

Question

112 answers to this question

Hi Scott,

While it may seem as strenuous oposition to everything it just isn't so. I simply point out what is of contrast or left out of any debate or conversation if it strikes a cord in me.

Your statement as well as mine are fairly valid points in their own context but different of course.

Whereas my quote in context addressed why there may be more scrutinizing 'low budget customers' and why they more likely to speak their mind about having to part with more 'greenbacks' yours does a step further in relating their issues of no money, the amount of them, and/or their scrutiny directly on shoulders of a low price.

My take is that low budget customers are exactly that..low budgeted and hasn't much to do with what the range of prices may really be. They either got the funds or they don't. Some savvy ones may be playing the market and price shopping to no end as that is their way and choice. They may not be all that strapped for funds neither. I would contend when it comes down to it that the lower end of the market, while they may be subject or privvy to the lower priced ads, get their first belief of pricing by way of placing unjustifiable multiplying factors to the starting end or minimum wages of the unspecialized service trades in their area as well as unjust comparison to what their own income potential is or what their time may be worth to them if they were to perform the work. Area is either depressed or it isn't. If we wanted to really try and recognize the power a low price ad has then perhaps we should saturate the market with the opposite in high priced ads so customers get the true rate in their face also. They still aren't gonna call those ads, they just continue their search to find the low guy whether he has an addied price or not. The true power of the low ad is not that it educates of informs but that it makes attempt to satisfy a quik shopper with no desire for the process beyond getting it done at what they immedietly recognize as within their budget. Those customers respect the effort as cut and dry to the point and full of integrity (as long as the guy delivers).

The specific problem with lowballers, is that the prospective customer pool is contaminated with people that have their pricing expectations set by lowballer price-based ads. This is where they get their info on what maintenance expenditures should be!

That a closed loop with no responsability placed on customer. Contamination of them implies they were changed and dirtied from an originally High priced understanding or state. I would say they already had a low price state or understanding from the prior costs of living over the years or decades before.

In pure sense I prefure to keep prices down for everything in general so when I approach these topics I lean conservative without forcing demands of change on what could be the innocent just going about business as usual.

As usual or old school or rollbacks is nothing to be pissed at. We commend it when we see it in gas prices or anything else we buy. Winds of change towards the up sorta sucks pure and simple as it never usually evenly spread among the fields. When these people to my West come over and drive prices up of everything cause they been used to higher priced everything then I not too happy.

Now what I say may mean more to some you than it meant to. What I mean to convey is respecting others freedoms or willpower to deny change without abusing them. And just as much it also means I really respect what John says above. Place efforts elsewhere where it belongs. Place your madness where it belongs.

This thread is great! I hope it is educating everyone, as I will admit it has tought me something. Maybe I am leaving some money on the table. But even though my prices are lower then others I do not bait and switch people ever period.

I have found through my own experiences there are different customers with different expectations. I can adapt to them. Some people want you to fix their deck, add lights, or simply just wash it. Do you remember the phrase the customer is always right? Even when they are wrong. You can spend all day expaning the right way to handle their deck, but in the end they have to live with it and it's cost. Maybe it's the advertising which is bringing me the "value" customer. As my internet customers tend to want things done the right way and are less concerned with cost.

Someone else wrote it took them 3 years to figure this out, so I am still ahead of the "curve" , but yet I'm chastised and insulted or a lowballer just because my prices are lower my work must also be. I am not the fall guy for the "lowballers" I am just trying to make a profitable business just like everyone else, I use different methods, not dishonest ones like a true lowballer does. Jarrod I really hope we get to meet the same people next season since you also advertise in the same places. Never once have you admitted to what you charge or even if it more. Have you heard about the guy with a product from Italy which lasts 25 years? He wanted $6 a square ft. I tend to believe that is what dishonest people do.

I do believe in tiered pricing. It qualifies people for me. If they won't even spend $1 a square I don't want the job or the wasted time doing the estimate. Just like McDonalds (med, large, & supersized) not everyone has sikkens to remove, or boards replaced, etc. Some are washes some are complete strips. I have lost jobs to people also who do it at a fraction of what I charge.

For those of you who do not put prices in your ads does that help or hurt? Is the saying true if you have to ask you probably can't afford it? Did it cut down on the "value" customers. I've got 2 years of advertising experience and another reading about what everyone else does. For you guys with more experience that is your advantage for the moment

Tiered pricing is fine BUT your lowest tier cannot be a lowball price. Even more, do NOT advertise with prices. If you do, you'll have to stick with them and when you don't, you'll have to "justify" the hell out of why it's higher. The customer will think that you are just lying to make a profit. Your "justifications" will be viewed as lame excuses.

As far as my prices go, I will never tell anyone local what I charge. Most hacks will just underbid me.

I will tell you this though, you can easily double your prices and make a good living.

Ed, you have to make a choice - do you want to be busy, OR do you want to be profitable.

It's as simple as that.

I have almost 20 years of sales experience, I know what I'm talking about.

Kevin, this whole thread, including the posts you've been so strenuously objecting to, has been about EXACTLY THIS!

The specific problem with lowballers, is that the prospective customer pool is contaminated with people that have their pricing expectations set by lowballer price-based ads. This is where they get their info on what maintenance expenditures should be!

I can't write it in smaller or easier to understand words: Even if lowballers do good work, they should charge more, so they can pay themselves more, and so that the industry will be seen to be a profession in which people make a living.

Common perception, set by lowballers and their ads is that we should work cheap, and that we are just working for beer-money, etc. This is perpetuated by hacks, and technically good service providers alike, that only compete on price.

Bravo! Very well put!

Beth

I wouldn’t worry about it; people are curious but wouldn’t do the work anyway. I can’t count the number of jobs I’ve done over the years with pressure washers sitting in the corner of the garage

Remember , quality , service , neatness, politeness, manners, the white glove treatment , and you can call your prices , I am higher priced than most companies around, but am refered by happy customers all the time, Call you customers back the same day , show up for estimates and look and talk professional then do professionalwork and you will never have to worry about low ballers again I show people that i am pasionate about what I do for a living and will probly see the again at a later date at the park ,church or store and want happy customers ..Educate the consumer about the industry and lowballers,. by the way I work alone with a Landa 6.5gal per min hot water machine and kick butt.