Sign in to follow this  
Medic442

Hhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeellllp!!!!!!!!!

Rick , FYI..This the 'DIY Ask the Pro's' section and last I heard it always open.. :) So I would ask what does wood or other sections being closed have to do with this? What ban? Ban has prerequisite of being a member first. Once someone is member they get to sections just like the rest..

If anything, my view would be that the 'ask the pro' section not require membership. What is possable with forum is somewhat foreign to me but isn't there a way for guest posting to where they can have ongoing contributions to the topic based on cookie or email info without going through member signup?

Kevin,

You are correct, this is a DIY thread which I assume is open to the public. When I posted the above, I thought it was in a wood forum.

Must be the libertarian streak in me. As an advocate of open source software and a long time user, anything proprietary, especially on web sites, just rubs the wrong way. And goes against the tide. The internet is possibly the best communication and information vehicle in history, or at least 2nd to the invention of the printing press.

The public is "banned" from viewing most forums here on TGS. I don't agree with that policy for many reasons, primary being that a lot of customers have found me here. But it goes further than generated business. It goes against the real value, purpose, and trend of the medium.

Looking at the various poll results, I am in a small minority.

Beth stated:

We are looking for suggestions on a way to make BOTH possible.

This may not be possible as I assume vBulletin is a closed source system.

Ideally, you would leave the transparency up to the poster. For example, I start a new thread in a wood forum. A checkbox is provided to "hide" this new thread from non-members.

If a thread is "open", each individual contributor to that thread has the checkbox option to "hide" his posted response. This may lead to some disjointed threads to the general reading public, but IMO is better than an outright ban.

Going a step further, each member has a default setting, either "open" or "hide" in their member profile. This could be changed on an individual post basis by the aforementioned checkbox.

hey, my contractor is now using hd-80....MAN IT LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!! took his test coat of TWP right off....

he was kinda mad at first that i "had a fit" but then after he talked to beth and russell and now is using hd-80 he feels he is better in the long run! money ahead.

i only have one more question... how long is normal to let the logs dry out before staining?