Sign in to follow this  
hoosierwindowtek

after sealing questions

Question

Is it normal for a newly sealed deck to have the oily, rainbow look when it rains? I've used Ready Seal light brown on it, PT lumber.

Also, the deck is slippery when wet. Is that normal? should I tell the homeowner not to walk on it for awhile?

This is my first deck project, so any input is greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

That rainbow effect is referred in the physics world as 'thin-film' interference. I.E. oils are leaching out and causing that effect. Ready Seal is a seal type oil, non hardening - I think it takes an honest 2 weeks before you can use such decks. That's why lots of guys prefer curing type woodstains for customers.

Daniel said:

I think it takes an honest 2 weeks before you can use such decks.

Not true. We use a lot of Ready Seal. Finished a PT job last week, 2 apps. of oil and the dog and customers were using the deck within 4 hours of final stain.

Think about it. If every contractor on this board that uses RS had to tell their customers to not use their decks for 2 weeks, we would be using another stain.

Wolman's F&P, RS, Cabot's solids, WTW, will all show some "oily sheen" after a rain soon after application. No big deal unless you have white cashmere carpeting or rugs. Then tell you customers to wipe their feet for 48 hours.

So having some residual oils on top of the wood is not a sign I didn't strip enough then?

It may have been over application but if the deck stays oily for more than 2-4 days.You might have to wipe off the excess oil with a rag and mineral spirits?

Its the nature of the beast with a non curing parafinnic oil. Like it or not it will happen every time it rains to some degree. It will slow down and eventually stabilize but I found at that point, the deck is also markedly faded. I'm a Ready Seal retard though. I stopped using it a few years back when a customer almost had me pay for new carpets in their house. I never did figure out the magic formula to master this "goof proof" stain.

Big Rick, where ya been? How did our buddy like his deck?

So having some residual oils on top of the wood is not a sign I didn't strip enough then?

That is possible. Ready Seal will quickly penetrate through some old stains, but not others. You should look at the wood when it is dry, not wet from rain. If there are wet stain areas a day or two after stain application, either work the stain into the wood with a rag and mineral spirits or just wipe the excess off with a dry rag.

Big Rick, where ya been? How did our buddy like his deck?

Hey Ken, been busy. Judy and I picked up another puppy, this one a female English Springer Spaniel from the breeder of our last one. With a 6 month male Schnauzer and a 3 month Springer, things have been a bit hectic.

Have not gotten back to that ipe' job to take a look. And have not heard a peep from our friend. No news is good news!

Hey Rick, 30 more days before evaluating the oxalic vs. citric on longevity - any observations to date?

Daniel,

October 21st is the 6 month date. Both the oxalic and citric sides of the toprail still have RS present, as well as the ipe' floor and teak furniture. A surprise as I did not think an initial application would last this long.