Sign in to follow this  
Washaway

Muriatic Acid?

Not from muriatic acid. It will etch the surface paste and cause spalding which reveals the aggregate below.

This looks different, perhaps from used antifreeze that has leaked out of a container.

What's your assessment?

Rod!~

Aside from there perhaps being no etch involved here and it looking like leakage of an already dirty looking fluid, I could say the look can be recreated with muratic on some slabs. Depends on slabs cement (glue) and or minerals involved. The strength of acid and how much water used matters also. Is just like acid staining deco concrete and it doesn't always depend just on the dye itself. The actual color or film is the glue and minerals leached up to surface and then dried. All it take is another re-acid at a lesser strength to fix...

But such stain can just as easy be rusted car radiator water or in this case more likely battery acid leakage (sulferic acid). Batteries produce the dirty sludge from undergoing charge/discharge cycles....The leakage doesn't ethc like muratic.

A slow seepage of muratic may recreate this look without etching.. never tried though.

I have a stain just like that on my garage floor from muriatic. I have used Prosoco's Ferrous Stain Remover to remove acid burns on several occasions. (For customers, of course, not my own! lol)

My assessment was that those stains were not from muriatic acid. Homeowner that the 'other guy' couldn't remove the black dots. Homeowner then gives him some muriatic acid to try and it turned this color.

My first question was why would someone pour the acid in the corner by the wall if the spots are 2.5 feet away? (Can you tell i was sceptical?)

I went along with the story which revealed attempts with chlorine, bleach, etc.

Bottom line is that I poured a bit of muriatic on it myself and it all cleared right up. Washed off, neutralized and hauled butt!

Job done.

ps: i just don't understand why they have to lie. I have feelings too!!!!!:lgtear: