Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Wagner 4275 Airless?

Question

Happened up on a Wagner 4275 diaphragm airless with a Graco SG3 gun (415 tip) for $80 so couldn't resist trying it out.

Anyone got anything good or bad to say on it or some tip advice?

Not sure if it will run oil base without getting wasted right out the gate or not....

Runs off my recently installed truck inverter which my air compressor won't so hopefully I am set for more situations. The other day my compressor which runs my hvlp kept flipping breakers and I wasted my whole day hand brushing posts and a pergola roof.

9 answers to this question

So know one knows this machine then? ah well..I'll review it.

First use was with Cabot solid and semi.. I'll be keeping it. Even though it does not spray the very last bit of product past prime it does continue to pass air via it's diaphragm for recovering the little bit of product in the line. Cleans up almost as fast as my hvlp considering it has a short hose. What with the ease of quik spray gun adjustment, small size, less power use, and hardly a tiddle of overspray due to adjustable pressure I'll likely use it more then the hvlp. The combination of this machine with current 415 graco tip makes for a very crisp spray pattern up close of about 9"x2" perfect for spindles and 2x4 edges.

Out around 2 feet it still carried the Cabot's to the surface with not much atomozation or overspray. Was spot trigger shooting sections of raised 2x4 yesterday with it and it's swath covered 2' up between between the joists and was still only a couple inch thick to get the edges of the 2x's perfect.

Did have to go backwards in order to avoid the little bit of overspray but is not much different then the hvlp in this regard. Might have to step the tip size down to do this with a semi products if the machines pressure adjust doesn't satisfy the thinner situation. The Cabo semi I used on floor didn't seem to need a different pressure level.. Had machine just past half pressure for both solid and semi.

Well anyways, there it is.. I give this diaphragm airless 2 thumbs up...

Am interested if piston type airless with or without pressure adjust create differing results and also interested if they any better at getting away with spraying special coatings like the 2 part poly (anti grafiti paint) without worry of ruining the machine. I would imagine at some point the seals of this one will fail from using solvents for cleanup as they are only nylon far as I can tell.

Sounds like you're having plenty fun, Kevin!

Small diaphragm pumps are good for most lite & med body products.

I've got a couple HERO pumps around here, somewhere!

I'm surprised you are getting such great service from your inverter!

The ones I've seen always popped pretty quickly, but they must have been smaller ones.

Anyhow, tripping breakers? I open the panel and stick in my own, and drop a pigtail out for hi-amp tools and a short cord to the tool.

Most panels only use two types of breakers...

r

Hi Rich,

I don't know if it be considered a small diaphragm or not. Here's link to it: Wagner 4275 Paint Sprayer (Reconditioned) - Obsolete Items

The inverter I got is an Aims 2500 watt: 2500 Watt Modified Power Inverters

Got to go one step up in order to turn my compressor on.

I'm told problem with trying to run high amp motors off an inverter is they need upto like 3 times the continuous power.

This Wagner sprayer ran off my inverter in a quik test but haven't tested it in actual use for a length of time.

About the breaker flipping..unsure why this one customers kept flipping from the compressor. Was able to get it turning if I let air out of tank and line. Was weird like he had no amps. Have upgraded a few breakers out in the garage to run welder and spa but I hardly want to be messing in a customers box for small jobs.

But hey do you know how to setup a machine to run off house current when it's specs read :

Voltage- 3x230V/60hz

Phase- Single or Three Phase

Amperage- 21.1A

Kevin, I can wire houses all day long, but have never done much motor work.

That being said, you most likely will not find a residence with 3 phase power.

Generally used in machine shops and industrial applications.

This would require that the "machine" you mention be internally wired to run off single phase 220 which IS available in most homes. There is usually (hopefully) a diagram inside the connection box on the unit.

The sticky part is the motor draws over what a standard 20amp breaker will allow, so you would probably want to employ a 30amp 220v breaker and use a 10 gauge cord for connection.

If we are talking about your compressor, that will only start from an empty tank, it might be possible to change the value of the motor start capacitor to control the spike and surge created when starting the beast.

(This IS beyond my capability) I'm thinking if your motor has 3phase capability it may not be using start capacitor, but internal start windings.

You could also try changing the sheaves, if it is belt drive, to lessen the motor loading, but that would decrease your CFM available.

Also, you could try a 20amp slow blow breaker.

Did that confuse things enough?

...Yep, I looked up your wagner number on first post...

Love to hate 'em! Glad yours is working for you!

People give them to me from time to time.

I keep the hose and cheapo gun, if any good at all

and yard sale 'em for $10-$20 bucks.

(They got little teeny-tiny parts inside 'em that clog easily.)

I'll look for a price on those AIMS 2500w inverters...

Can WE draft you to direct your DIY skill towards reclaim & recovery?

... I saw pics of a goldVac that used a 2 cycle leaf blower/vac on a 5 gal bucket... what would you think of that?

Sump pumps are EZ. Next comes the filter/flocculant tank I'm unsure of..

r

The machine I was asking if you knew how to setup is not a compressor but rather a major floor grinder/polisher. Note how the specs I listed mentions single or 3 phaze...Was considering the purchase of a unit but I'll likely pass on it...

Specs on this sprayer is about equivelent to a Magnum xr7 or xr9 down at HD which run close to $700. Actually supposed to have higher flow at .45 gpm then those but from how you sound it won't last like other brands. Ah well, regardless though if the wagner lasts long I did get the sg3 gun out this $80 deal. Gun alone is $120 down at HD..bought the 311 tip today so now I got a stain tip to do small fan and then the 415 for larger areas and heavier products.

On the inverter..Think the Aims ran me $80 on Ebay..another good deal .

On reclaim... my reclaim is still sorta in progress. I have various parts laying around all ready to go for a dedicated setup.. 24 volt dc lamb motors, 110 lamb motors, 2" carpet cleaning hose. wet vac and steam cleaner tanks. etc., etc. ,....but really I already have something else that works fine. I have 32" and 20" Auto scrubbers that run on deep cycles. I just park them with the curved sqweegie down where the water flows and leave the vacs running. Haven't had case yet where I needed to burm a drain or stop work to dump or sump. The big one holds something like 20 gal. and when I use hot water much of it evaps before it gets to machine. I have a Little Giant sump pump that I may stick inside the big machine. If I do it I will stick a bulkhead up through the top lid to keep the tank stock. Is expensive scrubber costing more than a pressure washer that I prefure not to change too much from stock.

So but you could do same thing with a smaller used battery or ac powered scrubber and sump pump it to land. You can snag those 17" or 20" sized machines used for about $400 on up either battery or ac powered. Some sqweegie are straight and would need to be slanted to allow water in the first sqweegie as they meant to ride over liquid to suck it up. Will come in around outside edge after a puddle forms though. My big machine has curved sqweegie that has slots and allows water right in. If it smooth concrete I just drive it up where the flow of water came from to clean up the sludge I did not bother to pressure wash all the way to the drain area. I don't do that on blacktop though.

Have seen those gold vac's you speak of as I dabble in mining. I don't think the extra expense of the 2cycle motor which is meant for use in remote places is justifiable compared to a dc lamb motor. Auto scrubbers, commercial wet vacs, and portable steam cleaners all use lamb motors. Some 24 volt, some 36 volt, some 110ac. They run about $150.

If you want serious reclaim I do have a gold dredge with a 300+ gpm keen pump... It passes 4" rocks and sucks up fish from 25 feet under the water..haha ..I have no time to use it. Wish I did though.. :)

Is short season on some rivers...wish I had a dry suit for the cold water.

I hear that!

Years ago I could handle all that, just jumped right in, literally.

Now I'm wimpy. A warm water heated suit would be OK by me!

I often thought of building a small commercial dredge for clearing silt from marinas and other waterway applications. It's all about pumps and tubes.

It might go well with the PW service business.

Then, a suspended riffle box in the dredge exhaust could catch fines that would drop out as debris was discharged in the selected area.

Had a friend years ago who maintained a location at a sand and gravel plant, a big one, where everything passed over a drag plate in a wash system. He did well, 'til they figured they really didn't need him...

Silver recovery from black & white photo processing also used to be a big thing. I used to have 10oz bars of .995... long gone now!

r