Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Need some quick opinions

Question

I just got back from a house with an unfinished basement. Three walls are poured concrete and the fourth is studded with insulation. There is no sheet rock anywhere. Some additional rooms are studded out all with PT pine on the floor. This is a rental and the previous owner kept some pets downstairs and it smells. I was thinking about pre-wetting the concrete floor, then spraying on some SH at around 3% letting it dwell and then hitting with hot water and a surface cleaner. I would bring my vacuum unit and have a helper running around picking up the water. Any other ideas? Will hot water or SH affect the PT pine at all?

5 answers to this question

I wouldn't spray SH in that basement either!!!!

The fumes will make you go blind before you suffocate.

Plus, you have to take into account the people who live there and their reaction to the fumes. You could neutralize afterwards but still.

I cleaned a 30x35x15deep pool used for acoustic testing. It was a nice windy day yesterday and the SH still irritated my eyes.

If anything I'd attack it with household bleach, a painter's pole and a coarse brush. Then simply mop up and be done with it.

Also, you can give Russ Johnson a call. He's got some new bacteria based chems that smell good and work wonders.

Bio-bathroom from ZEP is an alternative. Works well on stinky areas. We use it in stairwells were the homeless have used them for toilets. Hope this helps.