Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Painters / ABQ Balloon festival.

Question

Please try and follow as I have had little sleep.

#1) I came across a painter today ( with THIRTY YEARS experience ) that knows everything there is to know about PW.

#2) He, and his 2 helpers are now approaching their 3rd hr of washing a 2200s.f. single resi brick / hardie finish, with very few obstacles. Ladders are also being employed. Did I mention no chems.

It's next door to my new house. Well, with my sunny disposition, I approached the painter ( with THIRTY YEARS experience ) who has been there for a few days doing other things that apply to his 30 yrs. and I offered him the use of my xjet. (pls refer to #2)

#3) Who knows, maybe he could use the other 2 guys to do something better with his time and money, like maybe Running from Immigration officials.

(too soon for that) Please refer again back to #2.

Bottom line is he is rude, unintelligent, and hasn't firgured out that 30 years is a long time to be doing it the wrong way!!!!.

#4) I knocked out 3200 s.f. resi and flatwork today between 9:00 - 12:30 this morning.

I love my xjet!!!!! Flatwork took longer than the resi.

My point is that as a small business owner you have to be alert to new ways of streamlining. Time is money!!! He is a complete a$$ whole to me by the way. Old dog new tricks I guess. His wank is largest. lol

#5) They are still cleaning as I type ( they started around 1:00 all 3 of them)

and have completed 3 sides and still have a detached garage to clean.

No chems, just pressure. move the ladder, pull the hose, reposition the pw every 50 feet. 3 man project.

...... all of this after just arriving home from ABQ Ballo0n Festival for 3 days.

(sorry still a little lagged )

I attribute this trip to the GRAND performance of my XJET saving me time and keeping up with high volumes of work during peak periods. Which translates to "it's been a pretty ok Summer" for my pony. Please refer to #5.

I will post somes pics when I get new batteries . They went dead on me.

Is it Jon Fife that lives in ABQ? He's got some nice scenary there.

What was that # to Immigration?

New Mexico was awesome and the aliens there are real friendly. ( sorry too soon again)

....anyways, Mr 30 is just a dumb ( you know what) and I know in my heart of balloons that he just missed out on a financial orgasmic time saver.

When I got turned onto the xjet, I could not believe how much more work I could stack up and complete.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I wish someone would turn that damn pressure washer off I need some sleep.

8 answers to this question

Man , this post hit the bricks ......

Ok, they have finally finished. 4 hours 35 min. finally done.

No disrespect to all the painters that actually know how to PW. I swear.

Just venting at the rudeness of this fellow Texan ( Hmmmmm maybe he isn't from Texas). Maybe that's the problem. Nap time. just in time for dinner.

more weight loss.

ILMXJ

No disrespect to all the painters that actually know how to PW.

None taken...lol

I started a painting job about 3 months ago in a larger city in my province. At any rate I do cleaning and painting all over the maritime provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and sometimes in Quebec). Anyways, I rarely go to this city because the biggest industrial painters are from there and the competition is stiff. So I win this job contract and I'm painting away.

Another job is awarded on site to another local contractor, which I was nervous to work side by side with him because they have been in business a long time and I always thought they were a big company. His job consited to paint the structural steel of a building that was 80 wide and 460 long and 50 high. The steel was dirty so he had to wash. I almost busted a gut when I saw his pressure washers - two karcher machines probably 2000 psi and 1.5 gallons per minute that you can get on special for $100 bucks. I could not believe my eyes. And they have been in business for 40 years +

So I guess a little hick town boy like me really can match up to the big city boys... lol

My wash rig is a 5 ton with 24 ft box. Two 4000 psi, 4gpm and a 5800 psi, 6.6 gpm. Also rigged up to attached two other portable pumps at 3000psi and 4 gpm. A 300000 BTU hot box. Have about 2500 ft of hoses and a 1100 gallons epoxy lined steel tank. I always thought I had a small rig...lol

Dan

...interesting. Sounds like you have the right gear for whatever job you encounter. If I worked the way this painter worked, I would be out of a job, because of obsolete applications and time consumption. People like him make me want to stop being so neighborly and helpful. Like I said his 30 yrs of experience has not yielded much actual " horse sense" to know a good thing.

upstreaming, downstreaming, xjetting, would have saved him 3 hours of labor on his books for 2 employees. But, what do I know with only my few yrs under my belt to his 30? Some people are afraid of change. Some are too stupid to change. This guy happens to be both.

As I've said before, 30yrs in a trade would be of little value once all the commonly used products were changed or no longer available without constantly keeping informed of new products and techniques.

A BB such as thegrimescene.com is the only way to keep up with change.

There is a niche market for the old school, but it's quite specialized.

There weren't many decks built when wood was hand hewn!

Everything on the Acropolis is degenerating, because power cleaning was never possible...

r

You know - I don't know anything about what this guy was doing, but speaking from the point of view of a painter and pressure washer. There are two types of pressure washing jobs. The 1 hour house washes with stuff like Simple cherry and downstreaming are great - they do the least damage to the surface that is there and leave it clean. However if I am going to prep a house for painting - I use much stronger chems, and I use a deck scrubbing brush and brush in every sq. inch of the house - this allows you to use low pressure rinsing, it also will remove pesky artillery fungus, and you want to chemically abrade the surface to provide a 'tooth' for new layer of paint. So I feel it is a different animal pressure washing prior to a repaint. I have yet to remove artillery fungus using downstreaming and soft washing techniques.

Where as my own brew of TSP, multiple applications, and brushing, high/low pressure rinse - gets rid of it every time.

You know - I don't know anything about what this guy was doing,

My point exactly, neither does he.

maybe you misread the info about it.

3 men, 2200s.f., no chems, 4hrs 35 min. to complete.

I have yet to remove artillery fungus using downstreaming and soft washing techniques.

You probably don't leave gouges in the wood when you need high pressure either.

Big difference.

But, I am sure you would have a proffessional outlook and open mind to techniques that would improve the quality, efficiency and time sensitivity, not to mention save and make more $$$. Esp. after 30 years.

Where as my own brew of TSP, multiple applications, and brushing, high/low pressure rinse - gets rid of it every time.

.... again..... 3 men, NO CHEMS, ladders, high pressure, single story, trim only. cmon man hear what I am saying. You know that it doesn't take you 4 and a half hrs. to wash and prep a house.

This guy is stuck in horse and buggy mode. And closed minded about better techniques.

I'm sure you would have offered some positive input as well if you saw the project.

Most of us here would extend a hand to someone in quicksand because at the very least you want them to survive.