Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

I think I'm on acid...

Hope that title got your attention...hehehe

I need help! I have been building my business over the past few years and find myself in a bit of jam. I have always concentrated heavily on residential and a good bit of commercial work. Generally speaking, aside from Oxalic, I have never had the need for using any other acid. Recently, I have a gained a TON of new construction jobs with driveways in excess of 5,000sf and COVERED in red mud. Luckily, I have been very successful using muriatic acid in these situations, but I am very leary of the dangers associated with it (inhalation, burns, potential to kill everything it touches). It is, however, quite a good tool to have in your arsenal. I have tried Oxalic mixed very heavily, and it does nothing on the red clay.

My question is, given the size of the area I am covering and the amount of red clay I am dealing with, what techniques would you recommend in cleaning a surface this size with muriatic? I have recently used a surface cleaner, then xjetted muriatic (about an inch in a 5er, the rest water), then wanded the surface...but it is time consuming. Can I xjet muriatic on each section, then use a surface cleaner? The concrete is typically poured 8-12 weeks prior to me cleaning. Thanks so much for any help.

The driveways I have done are nowhere near that large but I do see red clay. I have used Pro BRC from Sun Brite and I have also used NMD-80 from Eaco Chem. Both hydrchloric based products just like muriatic. I have used dilutions from 4:1 to 8:1. X-jet on and use a variable pressure wand to clean. Sometimes heat as well. I don't use a surface cleaner on new construction. My experience has been the concrete is too soft and the acid doesn't help. With drives that size maybe you could get a Landa or Steel Eagle with the height adjustment.

David - LOL - I was more curious about the muriatic acid and how the surface cleaner would work with it than anything...thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the replies everyone...

stick with the acid bro. I probably use more than anyone on here. xjet and surface clean it. never been burned inhaled some, taste bad to. however there are no long term effects with hydro.you stand more chance getting burned with hydroxide than with acid. xjet as most as possible to avoid having any run marks. any questions holla at me.

Nice shots Micah.

In the first curbing pic, you have to love those negative drainage jobs where you know first rain it'll be back full of mud. I'm amazed at the amount of bad landscaping and hardscape design I see. Geeeewhiz, you mean everytime it rains this planting bed dirt piled 4" higher than this $20/sf paver driveway is gonna dirty it up again???

/neil

So 1 inch of muratic added to a fiver with water - XJet on and hit with a SC? Seems pretty simple.

BTW - any concerns with storing muratic? Shelf life? Average cost?