Sign in to follow this  
Integrity Curb Appeal

F18, Ox, and Ready Seal

Question

I just recently finished this deck with Readyseal. I had leaves falling wile cleaning and sealing. One thing I really like about Readyseal is that when the leaves fall while sealing you can just pull them away. They don;t stick to the deck. This was a big selling point for this time of year.

post-1971-137772190416_thumb.jpg

post-1971-137772190469_thumb.jpg

post-1971-137772190514_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Sealed with Readyseal medium brown.

Funny story goes along with this deck. While I was talking with the home owner, another contractor arrives to quote the deck. The homeowner was not expecting him at this time. He actually owns one of the largest (volume) pressure washing businesses in this city. Tells me he has never heard of my company etc... Jokes with the home owner quietly about seeing if our price is close. He blurts his price for all and my cleaning/stripping price is higher than he quoted the entire job. He laughed. I explained to the home owner that the cost was high due to the stain on the deck and quantity of stripper needed to remove the stain. (I had already done a test spot with the HO prior to the other contractor arriving.) The other contractor said, "This doesn't need to be stripped". I just said, "If you get the job you can do it however you see fit." I suggested he may want to ask the HO what he wants before he does anything. The HO (a GE engineer) and I discussed chemicals and process. I traded business cards with the contractor and we both exited. I got a call the next day and won the job at TWICE the other guys quote.

I learned most everything I discussed with the HO from you guys. Thanks!

By the way, the pics are full size, and I know they aren't great. But if there is a newbie that needs some pics for anything, help yourself.

post-1971-137772190718_thumb.jpg

post-1971-137772190763_thumb.jpg

Looks great! So how about some technicals. Howstrong was your F-18 solution? And the ox? Do you do a percarb/bleach cleaning after stripping and prior to brightening? Do you do any sanding/defurring? How much? And I agree wholeheartedly with you on the stain - I was putting on another coat of timber oil on my folks deck - and other than blowing the leaves off prior to me starting - I didn't worry about the leaves falling as I was staining. I am beginning to be sold on parafinnic stains - but I love Russel's version the most!

Looks great! So how about some technicals. Howstrong was your F-18 solution? And the ox? Do you do a percarb/bleach cleaning after stripping and prior to brightening? Do you do any sanding/defurring? How much? And I agree wholeheartedly with you on the stain - I was putting on another coat of timber oil on my folks deck - and other than blowing the leaves off prior to me starting - I didn't worry about the leaves falling as I was staining. I am beginning to be sold on parafinnic stains - but I love Russel's version the most!

Thanks Daniel. F18 was 12oz per gallon with sureflow. Ox was 16/gallon downstreamed. No percarb/bleach. Light sanding. No defurring.

Were all the finishes you stripped off oil base? It looks like the rails are white. I have some F-18 but haven't tried it out yet. Just curious about how it might work on a latex application.

It was a thick application of semitransparent. I have not tried it on laytex. Bob could probably tell you what to expect.

Scott,

Maybe it is just my preferences in color, but I hate Ready Seal medium brown. Had a customer insist on the color a few years ago for their stripped cedar deck. Complied with their wishes, but I think the stain looks "muddy".

To this day will not include medium brown when laying out samples.

I hate to even post this but I find F-18 to be too soapy and not strong enough. I keep it onhand as a cleaner and a backup but it is too expensive to use as a stripper. HD-80 at one fourth the strength does what F-18 does mixed full strength in most cases. I find no difference in the heat as the F-18 mixed at 12 oz per gallon is just as hot as the HD. Just my opinion and like I said, I hate even saying it because Bob is an outstanding distributor.

Ready Seal in cold temps.. be careful. If it gets down to 40 at night the customer may find puddles of it on their deck the next morning. Cold wood is tight wood.

I hate to even post this but I find F-18 to be too soapy and not strong enough. I keep it onhand as a cleaner and a backup but it is too expensive to use as a stripper. HD-80 at one fourth the strength does what F-18 does mixed full strength in most cases. I find no difference in the heat as the F-18 mixed at 12 oz per gallon is just as hot as the HD. Just my opinion and like I said, I hate even saying it because Bob is an outstanding distributor.

Ready Seal in cold temps.. be careful. If it gets down to 40 at night the customer may find puddles of it on their deck the next morning. Cold wood is tight wood.

Ken,

Thanks for the thoughts. So 3 oz per gallon HD-80 will give me the same results as F18 at 12 oz/gal? I will have to try some HD-80. It was in the high 70s and 60 at night when I applied the RS.

We mix up HD-80 in 50 gallon drums full strength plus butyl and polyprop glycol. Most decks are done via downstream. Nasty acrylic stripping is done full strength with the boosted HD. Application via ShurFlo 3.8. Acid is always downstreamed. I'm going to try Scott's dowstreamable stripper next season for shitz and giggles.

Ken,

Thanks for the thoughts. So 3 oz per gallon HD-80 will give me the same results as F18 at 12 oz/gal? I will have to try some HD-80. It was in the high 70s and 60 at night when I applied the RS.

There's not that big of a difference in strength, but there is some. I'd say HD-80 at 4oz.'s, F-18 8oz.'s.

We mix up HD-80 in 50 gallon drums full strength plus butyl and polyprop glycol. Most decks are done via downstream. Nasty acrylic stripping is done full strength with the boosted HD. Application via ShurFlo 3.8. Acid is always downstreamed. I'm going to try Scott's dowstreamable stripper next season for shitz and giggles.

What is Scott's downstreamable stripper,or what thread is it on?