Sign in to follow this  
Bryan C

And Your Bid Is?

Question

Got an estimate request through my website for cleaning/staining a deck and privacy fence. When I get there, I run across a local hack also measuring the property. I didn't get to speak to the H/O as she told me she would be at work.

Here are the measurements:

Deck - 433 square feet, 54 spindles, 2 small landing steps (8.5 feet long)

Fence - Hard to tell if she wants both sides of this fence done as it seems to be shared on the back side by common neighbors. 3 sides, 184 linear feet (5 feet high).

The hack left his estimate on a piece of notebook paper (as usual) - I told the HO that I would email her my bid this evening. What would you bid for it? I'll give you mine and the hacks in a few...

Attached are some photos. What kind of sealer is this - Behr? How difficult do you think it will be to strip? I plan on using WTW WHG or WTW BS.

Thanks for all replies...

post-3049-137772190955_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772190963_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772190968_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Bidding against a hack and really wanting the job.. $1600. $75 to replace the 2x6 handrail that is bowed.

If you really need this work, meet with the homeowner. Given two price sheets (even if one is on notebook paper) she is going to go on price.

Ken -

Is this a multiple strip job? Looking at the stain, is it Behr? I want to price it right so I don't lose my ass if the stripping is a PITA.

Would you recommend a semi after removing this?

I hear ya on the price thing - I don't come down on my price to compete with the hacks.

Thanks.

Those streaks on the fashia board seem really characteristic of the behr decks ive seen. And the gray floor would be no surprise for behr stain

I said in your other thread id be at 1400 plus stain. I guessed on the rail length so I couldnt estimate for sure

Okay, here they are...

Lowballer - $550 plus materials for deck. $275 for fence.

Me - $1675 for deck. $1100 for fence.

I am no where in the ballpark as far as price - hope my materials that I left have an impression...

$4 per s/f is not outrageous when you are talking about just the floor. Thats my average rate. My quote above is based on: Being in the midwest, the time of year, and the contractor not meeting with the homeowner. I'd be shocked if Bryan lands this job.

Yeah, well I price my deck work a little high anyway. Especially if I am concerned about multiple strip jobs on a 15 year old, neglected deck. I don't lower my price to compete against hacks - never have, never will. You get what you pay for and unfortunately, this HO will probably learn that shortly.

I also take into consideration the lead source. I got it through my website and the email was titled "Free Estimate". That right there tells me that this woman is a tire kicker. Hard to sell your service to someone when they don't want to meet you personally or provide a phone number for follow-up.

It is what it is. I don't sweat not landing work because of my price. I am a professional who provides professional results. I have no problem with homeowners who put trust their property and homes to hackjobs.